SG plans for eventful month

My name is Adam Orshan, and I’m your friendly neighborhood Student Government (SG) Press Secretary. In this monthly column, I’ll be sharing what SG is working on, completed initiatives and upcoming events.

Let’s kick this off with some news. The first-ever members of the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC) and the Programming Committee have been selected. The mission of the FLC is to foster freshman leadership, and the Programming Committee plans and executes campus programs. We’re excited to see what they bring to SG and UM.

SG elections begin Monday. More students applied to run for Senate this semester than in almost any previous semester. This is a testament to how many students want to get involved and improve our school.

The ECO Agency recently launched campus integration with LUCID. Students and faculty can now monitor campus energy use at buildingdashboard.net/miami. By understanding where wasted energy is coming from, LUCID can help us reduce energy use.

Category 5 has organized two trips for away football games this semester. The first is a trip to see the Canes play USF this weekend. The second is against FSU on Nov. 2. Packages for the FSU trip are available in the Student Activities Center. The $180 package includes a game ticket, overnight hotel stay and transportation to and from Tallahassee, Fla.

In collaboration with Hurricane Productions, SG is excited to bring Ray Lewis to campus on Wednesday. He will be presenting at 6 p.m. and at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available to students with a valid Cane Card at the University Center ticket window.

We’re also holding a Ray Lewis Impersonation Video Contest. To participate, students can record a video of their best “Ray Lewis dance” and post it on the “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Facebook event. Judges will select the best video, and the winner will receive an exclusive meet and greet with Lewis.

Finally, SG is proud to announce that the Farmers Market will return on Oct. 9. As always, the market will be in front of Richter Library and have delicious food and artisanal products.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

Adam Orshan

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...