SG plans for eventful month

My name is Adam Orshan, and I’m your friendly neighborhood Student Government (SG) Press Secretary. In this monthly column, I’ll be sharing what SG is working on, completed initiatives and upcoming events.

Let’s kick this off with some news. The first-ever members of the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC) and the Programming Committee have been selected. The mission of the FLC is to foster freshman leadership, and the Programming Committee plans and executes campus programs. We’re excited to see what they bring to SG and UM.

SG elections begin Monday. More students applied to run for Senate this semester than in almost any previous semester. This is a testament to how many students want to get involved and improve our school.

The ECO Agency recently launched campus integration with LUCID. Students and faculty can now monitor campus energy use at buildingdashboard.net/miami. By understanding where wasted energy is coming from, LUCID can help us reduce energy use.

Category 5 has organized two trips for away football games this semester. The first is a trip to see the Canes play USF this weekend. The second is against FSU on Nov. 2. Packages for the FSU trip are available in the Student Activities Center. The $180 package includes a game ticket, overnight hotel stay and transportation to and from Tallahassee, Fla.

In collaboration with Hurricane Productions, SG is excited to bring Ray Lewis to campus on Wednesday. He will be presenting at 6 p.m. and at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available to students with a valid Cane Card at the University Center ticket window.

We’re also holding a Ray Lewis Impersonation Video Contest. To participate, students can record a video of their best “Ray Lewis dance” and post it on the “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Facebook event. Judges will select the best video, and the winner will receive an exclusive meet and greet with Lewis.

Finally, SG is proud to announce that the Farmers Market will return on Oct. 9. As always, the market will be in front of Richter Library and have delicious food and artisanal products.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

Adam Orshan

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...