SG plans for eventful month

My name is Adam Orshan, and I’m your friendly neighborhood Student Government (SG) Press Secretary. In this monthly column, I’ll be sharing what SG is working on, completed initiatives and upcoming events.

Let’s kick this off with some news. The first-ever members of the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC) and the Programming Committee have been selected. The mission of the FLC is to foster freshman leadership, and the Programming Committee plans and executes campus programs. We’re excited to see what they bring to SG and UM.

SG elections begin Monday. More students applied to run for Senate this semester than in almost any previous semester. This is a testament to how many students want to get involved and improve our school.

The ECO Agency recently launched campus integration with LUCID. Students and faculty can now monitor campus energy use at buildingdashboard.net/miami. By understanding where wasted energy is coming from, LUCID can help us reduce energy use.

Category 5 has organized two trips for away football games this semester. The first is a trip to see the Canes play USF this weekend. The second is against FSU on Nov. 2. Packages for the FSU trip are available in the Student Activities Center. The $180 package includes a game ticket, overnight hotel stay and transportation to and from Tallahassee, Fla.

In collaboration with Hurricane Productions, SG is excited to bring Ray Lewis to campus on Wednesday. He will be presenting at 6 p.m. and at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available to students with a valid Cane Card at the University Center ticket window.

We’re also holding a Ray Lewis Impersonation Video Contest. To participate, students can record a video of their best “Ray Lewis dance” and post it on the “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Facebook event. Judges will select the best video, and the winner will receive an exclusive meet and greet with Lewis.

Finally, SG is proud to announce that the Farmers Market will return on Oct. 9. As always, the market will be in front of Richter Library and have delicious food and artisanal products.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing. 

Adam Orshan

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...