News Briefs 9/26

Student Success Series

Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Nothing Less Than Academic Success,” which will involve representatives from the library, the Academic Resource Center, the Ombudsperson program, the Academic and Career Advisers in Residence and the Writing Center and teach students to be successful during their academic year. The event will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment. For more information, visit miami.edu/msa.

Laser Battle

The Wellness Center will host a “Laser Battle” from 8 to 10:45 p.m. Friday.  The event is a cross between laser tag and paintball. Students can participate for free.

LinkedIn Session

The Toppel Career Center is hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Toppel Library. At this session, students can learn what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure their profiles make them stand apart from other candidates. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...