News Briefs 9/26

Student Success Series

Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Nothing Less Than Academic Success,” which will involve representatives from the library, the Academic Resource Center, the Ombudsperson program, the Academic and Career Advisers in Residence and the Writing Center and teach students to be successful during their academic year. The event will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment. For more information, visit miami.edu/msa.

Laser Battle

The Wellness Center will host a “Laser Battle” from 8 to 10:45 p.m. Friday.  The event is a cross between laser tag and paintball. Students can participate for free.

LinkedIn Session

The Toppel Career Center is hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Toppel Library. At this session, students can learn what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure their profiles make them stand apart from other candidates. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The initiative has been tracking public health policy response data to determine how swift or lax im

Public health experts Erin Kobetz and Guillermo “Willy” Prado officially join Provost Jeffrey Duerk’

In response to George Floyd’s death, the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and the Counseling

Canes on Canes, a student organization, will host an informative online discussion about the anticip

Victoria Coverstone, a University of Miami mechanical and aerospace engineer, answers some questions