News Briefs 9/26

Student Success Series

Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Nothing Less Than Academic Success,” which will involve representatives from the library, the Academic Resource Center, the Ombudsperson program, the Academic and Career Advisers in Residence and the Writing Center and teach students to be successful during their academic year. The event will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment. For more information, visit miami.edu/msa.

Laser Battle

The Wellness Center will host a “Laser Battle” from 8 to 10:45 p.m. Friday.  The event is a cross between laser tag and paintball. Students can participate for free.

LinkedIn Session

The Toppel Career Center is hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Toppel Library. At this session, students can learn what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure their profiles make them stand apart from other candidates. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...