Football, Sports

Miami faces first road test in Tampa

SPORTS_Football_ng

SIGH OF RELIEF: Coach Al Golden reacts to the win over Florida earlier this season. Miami (3-0) will take on South Florida (0-3) at noon Saturday.

The No. 15 Hurricanes are on the road to Tampa for their first road game of the season. Miami (3-0) will face the University of South Florida at noon Saturday.

With three wins under their belts – Florida Atlantic, University of Florida and Savannah State – the Hurricanes will look to tighten up some loose ends before the ACC schedule begins.

The Bulls’ defense is a potential roadblock. Though USF is 0-3 on the year, the team is ranked among the nation’s top 10 in passing yards allowed.

“They present a number of problems. They’ll play man-to-man on you, they’re very good in the zone because they have a pass rush that can get there,” Miami coach Al Golden said. “They have so many guys that play that they stay fresh and put the pressure on you, quite often with just four rushers on third down. We have to be ready.”

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris is expected to start, despite seeing limited action in last week’s blowout win. Morris departed the Savannah State game after just four snaps with an apparent leg injury.

Golden commented after Tuesday’s practice on the status of his quarterback.

“Stephen did well today,” Golden said. “Was he at 100 percent today? No. Did he do everything? No. But he must have thrown 40 balls in team periods, and he threw it well. He’s transferring his weight well.”

The Canes will likely rely more heavily on the backfield as Morris continues to recover.

Sophomore running back Duke Johnson has already tallied 48 carries for 304 rushing yards. Fellow sophomore Dallas Crawford scored three touchdowns against Savannah State, and Gus Edwards has 132 yards on 18 carries thus far.

Defensively, the Hurricanes could be tested by a versatile USF offense led by quarterback Steven Bench.

“What makes it more difficult is the fact that they’re coming off a bye week,” Golden said. “If you’re going to put wrinkles in, that’s the time to put them in. It’s going to be a great challenge, especially in the first 15 plays. Whatever adjustments they have made, we have to adapt and adjust quickly so we don’t incur any damage on defense.”

Rayshawn Jenkins and Kacy Rodgers will start in the Hurricanes’ secondary, while Denzel Perryman and Jimmy Gaines are listed as the top linebackers.

Miami has held its first three opponents to a combined total of 29 points.

“The biggest thing has been our approach,” Golden said. “It hasn’t been about the opposition, it’s been about what our standard is, what we need to execute, and the things we need to improve on. I think the guys have bought in to try and improve every day. It’s been competitive.”

The game plan, Golden insists, does not change based on Miami’s opponent.

He expects the Bulls to put up a strong fight.

“This team at 12 o’clock that we’re playing is going to be ready,” he said. “This is going to be a good game.”

Kristen Spillane

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...