News, Profiles

Alumna nominated for CNN Hero Award

A 2009 graduate of the School of Communication is being considered for a 2013 CNN Heroes Award for her work helping refugee girls adjust to their new lives in the United States.

Blair Brettschneider, 24, was nominated as the founder and executive director of GirlForward. The nonprofit organization serves girls ages 12 to 21 who have been resettled in Chicago from war-torn countries around the world. Its aim is to help them build new lives for themselves and their families.

“The idea for GirlForward came to be when I moved to Chicago,” said Brettschneider, a print journalism major and former managing editor of Distraction magazine. “I got a job working at a refugee resettlement agency,” which helped provide housing, job placement and basic English classes to refugee families.

She said the organization’s name fits its mission: “For the name, I was just trying to think of something straightforward, easy to remember for the girls, and catchy. Plus, the girls are moving forward in their lives here in the U.S.”

Brettschneider has long had an interest in helping others. She was a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority and a volunteer at America Reads.

Now 2 years old, GirlForward serves more than 50 refugee girls with individual mentorship, educational programs and leadership opportunities.

“All of the girls in the program are in the country legally,” Brettschneider said. “Most arrived with their families through the Office of Refugee Resettlement.”

She also has a vision of expanding the organization in a few years to states like California, Texas and Florida, where there are large refugee populations.

Nominated by her mother, Julie Goddard, Brettschneider was thrilled when she recently received a call from CNN about her selection as one of the 25 semifinalists for the award, which is dedicated to “everyday people changing the world.” The Top 10 Heroes will be announced on Oct. 10, and they will also take part in a televised award ceremony in November.

One of Brettschneider’s UM mentors and Distraction’s adviser, Randy Stano, takes pride in her accomplishments since graduating.

“This is a great recognition for someone who does a lot of hard work and shows how determined graduates are to help others,” he said. “I congratulate her and hope she moves on to the finals.”

Eddie Sanchez

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...