Soccer, Sports

UNC shuts Miami out behind Dunn’s hat trick

Crystal Dunn (19) – the 2012 national player of the year – dribbles away from Miami defenders en route to one of her three goals on Sunday afternoon. Becca Magrino//Contributing Photographer

To get the story of Miami’s game against No. 5 North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, all one had to do was look at the field when it was over.

That is where UNC’s Crystal Dunn was being mobbed by fans for pictures and autographs.

The senior midfielder recorded the first hat trick of her illustrious career, leading the Tar Heels to a 4-0 victory over Miami at Cobb Stadium.

“She’s so fast, she’s so agile, she’s so athletic,” Miami coach Mary-Frances Monroe said, trying to explain why Dunn is so difficult to contain. “She understands the game so well, her movement off the ball, on the ball – she’s so dynamic.”

Dunn, the 2012 recipient of the Hermann Trophy as the best player in the nation, opened up the scoring in the 30th minute. She placed the ball in the right side of the net past diving UM goalkeeper Emily Lillard from the top of the box.

That was North Carolina’s lone score in the first half, despite dominating possession and holding Miami (6-3, 1-3 ACC) without a shot on goal.

In the 64th minute, Dunn scored from 20 yards out, sending a perfect strike into the upper right corner. Sophomore midfielder Katie Bowen was credited with the assist.

Just seven minutes later, Dunn completed her hat trick from 15 yards away. Paige Nielsen and Satara Murray were both credited with assists.

“That’s why she’s on the national team. That’s why she’s the best college player in the country, because she gets it done,” Monroe said after Dunn singlehandedly kept the Canes out of contention. “I think we did a good job of frustrating her. Tara Schwitter did an awesome job marking her and she got a little bit frustrated, but a player like that, you give her a little inch, she’ll score a goal.”

The Hurricanes, by comparison, managed one shot on goal the entire game.

Miami had its two best scoring chances in the first 10 minutes of the second half on a pair of corner kicks. On the first, sophomore Jasmine Paterson’s header went wide and on the second, Carolina goalkeeper Anna Sieloff saved junior Erin McGovern’s header.

Summer Green added the final goal for UNC (8-2, 2-2 ACC) on a penalty kick in the 86th minute.

Although the scoreboard showed a lopsided affair, Monroe took away some positives.

“I’m really proud of our team,” she said. “Obviously Carolina is the top team in my eyes in the country. We had a game plan … and I’m really proud of our team because they stuck to the plan, they bought in, they were confident, they were ready to play.”

Miami next plays third-ranked Florida State on Thursday at 7 p.m. FSU is undefeated this season, but the Canes upset the Seminoles last year when they were No. 1 in the nation.

Alex Schwartz

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...