Soccer, Sports

UNC shuts Miami out behind Dunn’s hat trick

Crystal Dunn (19) – the 2012 national player of the year – dribbles away from Miami defenders en route to one of her three goals on Sunday afternoon. Becca Magrino//Contributing Photographer

To get the story of Miami’s game against No. 5 North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, all one had to do was look at the field when it was over.

That is where UNC’s Crystal Dunn was being mobbed by fans for pictures and autographs.

The senior midfielder recorded the first hat trick of her illustrious career, leading the Tar Heels to a 4-0 victory over Miami at Cobb Stadium.

“She’s so fast, she’s so agile, she’s so athletic,” Miami coach Mary-Frances Monroe said, trying to explain why Dunn is so difficult to contain. “She understands the game so well, her movement off the ball, on the ball – she’s so dynamic.”

Dunn, the 2012 recipient of the Hermann Trophy as the best player in the nation, opened up the scoring in the 30th minute. She placed the ball in the right side of the net past diving UM goalkeeper Emily Lillard from the top of the box.

That was North Carolina’s lone score in the first half, despite dominating possession and holding Miami (6-3, 1-3 ACC) without a shot on goal.

In the 64th minute, Dunn scored from 20 yards out, sending a perfect strike into the upper right corner. Sophomore midfielder Katie Bowen was credited with the assist.

Just seven minutes later, Dunn completed her hat trick from 15 yards away. Paige Nielsen and Satara Murray were both credited with assists.

“That’s why she’s on the national team. That’s why she’s the best college player in the country, because she gets it done,” Monroe said after Dunn singlehandedly kept the Canes out of contention. “I think we did a good job of frustrating her. Tara Schwitter did an awesome job marking her and she got a little bit frustrated, but a player like that, you give her a little inch, she’ll score a goal.”

The Hurricanes, by comparison, managed one shot on goal the entire game.

Miami had its two best scoring chances in the first 10 minutes of the second half on a pair of corner kicks. On the first, sophomore Jasmine Paterson’s header went wide and on the second, Carolina goalkeeper Anna Sieloff saved junior Erin McGovern’s header.

Summer Green added the final goal for UNC (8-2, 2-2 ACC) on a penalty kick in the 86th minute.

Although the scoreboard showed a lopsided affair, Monroe took away some positives.

“I’m really proud of our team,” she said. “Obviously Carolina is the top team in my eyes in the country. We had a game plan … and I’m really proud of our team because they stuck to the plan, they bought in, they were confident, they were ready to play.”

Miami next plays third-ranked Florida State on Thursday at 7 p.m. FSU is undefeated this season, but the Canes upset the Seminoles last year when they were No. 1 in the nation.

Alex Schwartz

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...