Football, Sports

Canes hang record 77 points on overmatched Tigers

Sophomore Dallas Crawford (25) avoids the grasp of the Savannah State defenders during the game on Saturday night. The Canes won 77 to 7, and beat their record of most points scored during one game. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Sophomore Dallas Crawford (25) avoids the grasp of Savannah State defenders during Miami’s 77-7 win. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson opened Saturday night with a 95-yard kickoff return, so Hurricane fans knew what they were in for early on.

Miami defeated the Savannah State Tigers 77-7, breaking the university’s single-game points record.

Though the game marked coach Al Golden’s largest victory margin, he showed respectful sportsmanship in an agreement with Savannah State coach Earnest Wilson III.

The fourth quarter was shortened to 12 minutes, as the outcome was long since determined.

“We talked at halftime. He’s trying to teach his team how to fight, so I appreciate that and I understand that,” Golden said.

It was an opportunity for Miami to test its younger players, as the veteran Canes were afforded some rest.

“We’re going to learn a lot about a lot of individual performances, and we needed to. We needed to see what the second- and third-team guys could do,” Golden said.

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris left after just four snaps with an apparent leg injury. Fans and teammates alike were filled with anxiety, but Morris is expected to start next week.

“It’s so difficult because I always get the questions going into a game: ‘Are you going to sit so-and-so?’ The reality is these guys work so hard,” Golden explained. “Try and go tell Stephen he’s not playing after a bye week. It was an unfortunate circumstance, we’re blessed and grateful that he’s healthy and that he’s going to be okay.”

Sophomore running back Dallas Crawford got Miami’s first touchdown on a four-yard dash, and then added two more scores in the second quarter.

Freshman receiver Stacy Coley nabbed his first touchdown reception on a pass from Ryan Williams. The junior quarterback was 11-for-13 with 176 passing yards.

“It was a great performance. Ryan and I were playing on the sideline, telling each other we would be in at halftime. The next series Stephen got hurt and he went in and handled it like a first-string quarterback,” Crawford said. “He handled the offense and acted like a captain.”

Williams was pleased with his accuracy and control.

“Every day I’m taking mental reps,” he said. “I feel like I’m prepared regardless if I go in or not.”

Redshirt freshman Gray Crow also saw action late in the game and threw for a 13-yard touchdown to tight end Beau Sandland.

Allen Hurns and Gus Edwards also found the end zone for Miami.

In another solid defensive outing, the Canes defense allowed just one touchdown when Savannah State’s DeQuan Daniels broke free on a 75-yard run.

Miami travels to Tampa on Saturday to take on the South Florida Bulls at Raymond James Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.

Kristen Spillane

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...