Roommate rules key to avoid door-slamming

For many students, college is their first time living with a roommate rather than their parents. When I was a freshman, I was eager to find a roommate who’d become my best friend for life. I looked forward to a year filled with pizza parties, sharing clothes and a shoulder to cry on.

However, roommate situations often turn out to be an awkward, uncomfortable or a downright terrible tale. This is completely understandable. You need time to adjust when you’re living with a stranger who has a different personality.

After living with three extremely different roommates, sharing both a tiny dorm room and a larger apartment, I have found common principles that optimize roommate harmony and keep conflict at bay.

First, don’t break basic societal rules. Nose picking, spitting, burping, chewing with your mouth open and ignoring personal hygiene were not OK when you were 7 years old, and they are not acceptable from a roommate.

Second, “sexile” properly. Establish boundaries and rules about significant others. No one likes to walk into a room to get a textbook and instead gain an eyeful of more than they bargained for. Hang a sign on the door – a sock, a tie, pretty much anything. But please, just give some notice.

Finally, communication is key. Conflict does not have to lead to door-slamming or moving out. If you are studying, for example, and your roommate is playing loud music, speak up immediately. If your roommate’s habit of leaving her hairbrush on the kitchen counter bothers you, tell her. Evil glares or irritated glances alone will not convey the depth of the problem.

Sharing a small space can be difficult, and even a good roommate can begin to get on your last nerve by the conclusion of the year. But many students will at least have found someone with whom they can share their worries and triumphs – a confidante to help them through those swirling college days accompanied by stressful all-nighters.

If not, there is an upside to even the worst of roommate situations. The experience is just another way we prepare ourselves to interact with others in the future. Everyone we come in contact with, whether it be the messy roommate, the noisy part animal, the hoarder, the night owl or even the “sexiler,” can help us learn valuable lessons.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...