Edge, Music, Reviews

MGMT tries darker sound in third album

There was a lot of excitement surrounding the release of MGMT’s newest, self-titled album Tuesday. However, those who loved the lighthearted, dynamic tracks on “Oracular Spectacular” will quickly be thrown off by this album, which moves away from fun, trippy effects to something deeper, and, in some cases, more sinister. Though still rich with effects and unique sounds, “MGMT,” the band’s third record, contains a dark quality that many may find off-putting.

There is an instant departure into the other-worldly quality of the opening track, “Alien Days.” The song screeches to a start with trippy background noise and a child’s voice singing, “Sometimes the windows combine with the seams in a way that twitches on a peak at the place where the spirit was slain.”

The song then switches to a simpler sound with lead singer Andrew VanWyngarden taking over the vocals. However, the sharp, ethereal opening will stay with listeners, leaving them unsettled.

This unrest weaves through many of the songs, such as the track “Your Life is a Lie.” The song has simple, sometimes ineffective lyrics, but content that is vaguely disturbing, with lines such as, “Try not to cry/you will survive/on your own.”

There are certain tracks, such as “Cool Song No. 2,” where the background effects and distortion drown out the vocals, making some of the lyrics tough to hear. However, this track contains great percussive style that is present in several other tracks, including “Your Life is A Lie,” which has a steady beat punctuated by a cowbell, and “Astro-Mancy,” which opens with a tribal-sounding drumline.

The eighth track, “I Love You Too, Death,” is one of the CD’s most captivating songs, despite its off-putting name. The opening includes a variety of sounds, from chimes to something like the whirring of machinery. The lyrics are still often disturbing, but more provocative, with lines such as, “Cashiers won’t deduct the pain, loneliness sleeps on the couch.” Near the end, the track both speeds up and derails, calling to mind the image of a creepy carnival scene from a movie.

This transitions rather oddly into the most upbeat song of the record – “Plenty of Girls in the Sea,” a lighthearted, electro-pop track with an optimistic sound reminiscent of a ‘60s jukebox tune.

Though there are many instances of artistry and technique on “MGMT,” anyone who once jammed out to “Electric Feel” may be disappointed with this dark departure. There are many cases of expressive lyricism, and the tracks are well-developed, particularly the percussion. However, the disturbing themes and off-putting vibes of certain songs will leave many fans unsettled, not to mention disappointed.

mgmt

Marlee Lisker

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...