Edge, Music, Reviews

MGMT tries darker sound in third album

There was a lot of excitement surrounding the release of MGMT’s newest, self-titled album Tuesday. However, those who loved the lighthearted, dynamic tracks on “Oracular Spectacular” will quickly be thrown off by this album, which moves away from fun, trippy effects to something deeper, and, in some cases, more sinister. Though still rich with effects and unique sounds, “MGMT,” the band’s third record, contains a dark quality that many may find off-putting.

There is an instant departure into the other-worldly quality of the opening track, “Alien Days.” The song screeches to a start with trippy background noise and a child’s voice singing, “Sometimes the windows combine with the seams in a way that twitches on a peak at the place where the spirit was slain.”

The song then switches to a simpler sound with lead singer Andrew VanWyngarden taking over the vocals. However, the sharp, ethereal opening will stay with listeners, leaving them unsettled.

This unrest weaves through many of the songs, such as the track “Your Life is a Lie.” The song has simple, sometimes ineffective lyrics, but content that is vaguely disturbing, with lines such as, “Try not to cry/you will survive/on your own.”

There are certain tracks, such as “Cool Song No. 2,” where the background effects and distortion drown out the vocals, making some of the lyrics tough to hear. However, this track contains great percussive style that is present in several other tracks, including “Your Life is A Lie,” which has a steady beat punctuated by a cowbell, and “Astro-Mancy,” which opens with a tribal-sounding drumline.

The eighth track, “I Love You Too, Death,” is one of the CD’s most captivating songs, despite its off-putting name. The opening includes a variety of sounds, from chimes to something like the whirring of machinery. The lyrics are still often disturbing, but more provocative, with lines such as, “Cashiers won’t deduct the pain, loneliness sleeps on the couch.” Near the end, the track both speeds up and derails, calling to mind the image of a creepy carnival scene from a movie.

This transitions rather oddly into the most upbeat song of the record – “Plenty of Girls in the Sea,” a lighthearted, electro-pop track with an optimistic sound reminiscent of a ‘60s jukebox tune.

Though there are many instances of artistry and technique on “MGMT,” anyone who once jammed out to “Electric Feel” may be disappointed with this dark departure. There are many cases of expressive lyricism, and the tracks are well-developed, particularly the percussion. However, the disturbing themes and off-putting vibes of certain songs will leave many fans unsettled, not to mention disappointed.

mgmt

Marlee Lisker

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...