Edge, Theater

Play takes comedy to explore pain

Blue lights fade in, outlining the deer’s profile in vivid silhouette across the top of the theater. Brakes screech. It’s an arresting visual and a significant one; an entire play is built around the aftershocks of these 30 seconds. In a stirring production of “Sons of the Prophet,” GableStage at the Biltmore Hotel explored the universality of pain and how we learn to cope with the suffering that surrounds us.

“Sons of the Prophet” is a Pulitzer Prize for drama finalist by Stephen Karam about the Douaihy brothers, who must confront everything from heritage to faith to relationships when their father is killed in a freak car accident.

The show deals with homosexuality, depression and religion without judging its subjects, allowing the play to explore sensitive topics through humor. The dark humor prevents “Sons of the Prophet” from sinking under the weight of its own heavy themes; on the contrary, it’s an evening full of both laugh-out-loud jokes and thought-provoking moments.

GableStage’s cast excelled at maximizing the show’s comedic elements. As the older brother Joseph, Michael Focas demonstrated his gift for deadpan delivery, playing the “straight man” to the insanity around him. He was particularly hilarious as he attempted to handle a medical answering machine, which will ring true with anyone who has ever dealt with one. Michael Kushner, who portrayed Charles Douiahy, delivered some of the night’s most memorable punch lines with the flair and panache of a natural comedian, though his dramatic turns sometimes felt slightly forced.

The dynamic chemistry of the actors, particularly in large group scenes, kept the crowd fully engaged through the 90-minute show. George Schiavone was nothing short of brilliant in the role of Uncle Bill. His moments of boiling, frustrated anger at the death of his brother were spot-on, and his commitment upped the energy of each one of his scenes. Jose Urbino also deserves commendation for his portrayal of the reporter Timothy. Among a cast in which some members occasionally struggled with over-rehearsed stiffness, Urbino inhabited his role with relaxed believability and crafted compelling banter with Focas’ character in their shared scenes.

GableStage’s production featured several noteworthy technical elements. Lyle Baskin’s set design was simple, yet effective, utilizing multiple levels and moving platforms with an ease that was subtly beautiful in its smooth transitions. The performance space caused a few minor difficulties. Projections were distorted, and actors were sometimes closed to parts of the audience due to the width of the stage, but the setbacks were handled well. A comedy about pain might seem like an unlikely evening in the theater, but in GableStage’s poignant production of “Sons of the Prophet,” no pairing seems more natural. After all, sometimes if you don’t laugh, you’ll cry.

If you go:

What: “Sons of the Prophet”

When: Runs through October 21st. Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 8 PM, Sundays at 2 PM and 7 PM

Where: Gable Stage, 1200 Anastasia Avenue, Coral Gables, FL 33134

Tickets may be purchased online at www.gablestage.org. Discounted student tickets are available for Thursday and Sunday night performances.

Madelyn Paquette

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...