Ignorant social media users target Miss America, embarrass rest of Americans

I’ve never paid attention to the Miss America pageant. It’s typically nothing more than a swimsuit competition between 53  Barbie dolls. Most Americans don’t seem to pay attention either, unless a contestant says something offensive, embarrassing or just plain stupid – or, in this year’s case, until a woman of Indian descent wins the title.

As an Indian-American, I am thrilled that 24-year-old Nina Davuluri was crowned Miss America 2013. She is the first person of Indian descent to win the pageant, and now the face of Miss America has become much more relatable to many girls like me.

For that reason, it astounds me that there’s been such an adverse reaction surrounding Davuluri. After her win, tweets like “Miss America or Miss Al-Qaeda?” or “How can an Arab win Miss America?” and “Have we learned nothing from 9/11?” flooded the Internet.

For the sake of getting our facts straight, it should be known that Davuluri is of Indian descent (not Arab), was born and raised in America (making her American), and practices Hinduism (not Islam).

Even if Davuluri were a Muslim, that would not automatically make her a member of Al Qaeda. Many Americans still feel the sting of Sept. 11, but there is absolutely no excuse for accusing a person of terrorism based on the color of her skin or her assumed religious beliefs.

Thus, a simple mixup of the facts is not the root of the issue. It’s the ignorance of equating skin color to religion and terrorist acts that is.

Social media serves to connect our world in ways that were previously unimaginable, but in doing so, it has also unsheathed racism and ignorance that was previously kept quiet. Americans have always had a voice, but now they also have an outlet to express themselves on a wider public scale.

This woman was selected to represent America. And the entire Miss America uproar comes down to the idea of what it really means to be an American. It is ironic that those tweeters who consider themselves the most American have the least knowledge of the true American values on which this country was established.

Support of ideals like “freedom of religion,” “pursuit of happiness” and “all men are created equal” are all what make an American, American. But it seems hardest in times like these to find pride in calling myself one.

Nayna Shah is a freshman majoring in music composition.

Nayna Shah

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...