Campus Life, News

LUCID inspires eco-friendly lifestyles

LUCID energy-monitoring dashboards were installed into Hecht and Stanford residential colleges, the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, three University Village buildings and the MacArthur Engineering Building in August.

The initiative came to fruition after months of work between Student Government’s Energy and Conservation Organization (ECO), Green U and the University of Miami’s Facilities Management Department.

“You can track real time use … if I do this, let’s watch and see how much I save,” said Kamal Daghastani, chair of ECO. “It’s more of a reporting tool.”

Students are able to log on to buildingdashboard.net/Miami to see how much electricity has been used in their building so far that day, during the past week, month or year. On the website, they are also able to commit to an energy-saving action.

Members of the ECO board heard about the LUCID system after talking with friends at the University of Central Florida who had recently started their Kill-A-Watt program, Daghastani said. The program there held a competition between buildings and saved $40,000 in energy during that time.

“The system cost us about $40,000 to install, so that’s a one-year payoff,” he said. “We put them in the freshman dorms because they’re easiest to target with lots of residents, plus freshmen want to get involved.”

This spring, ECO hopes to incorporate the system into Sportsfest.

LUCID would have been installed in the Mahoney and Pearson residential colleges, but the electrical meter used in these facilities is also connected to the Gables One Tower and the parking garage.

Seeing results and savings instantanly is a rewarding process, according to Green U’s Sustainability Coordinator Ian McKeown.

“What I found was missing, was a solution that would immediately show [savings]online, as opposed to something that tracked [savings]monthly,” he said. “Most people don’t understand what impact they have.”

Many freshmen, like Shira Cohen, think the website is a great source of information for making differences in their daily routines.

“I try to be conscientious of turning off lights in my dorm and stuff, but if I’m able to track my use and see it right there, I think I would definitely be more motivated to do something,” she said. “The environment is the most pressing issue today. Anything that you can do to conserve energy is good.”

Jordan Coyne

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...