Former VP receives award

William R. Butler, vice president emeritus at the University of Miami, has been awarded with the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society’s Distinguished Lifetime Membership Award.

This award is given to notable Mortar Board alumni, who exemplify the honor society’s founding principles of scholarship, leadership and service.

Butler has been an administrator and educator at the University of Miami for more than 50 years.

His contributions to the university include establishing the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges and opening the Wellness Center.

He also founded the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, which provides service and leadership opportunities to student volunteers at the university.

In 1990, he worked with the City of Coral Gables to name a street after Mary A. Brunson, founder of UM’s Mortar Board chapter.

In that same year, he was initiated as an honorary member of the university’s Mortar Board chapter.

Since his retirement in 1997, Butler has written two books about the globalization of the university and student initiatives.

“I was thrilled to hear that Butler has received the Mortar Board Lifetime Achievement Award,” said Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. “His cutting-edge work in student affairs at UM and his leadership in higher education was incredibly impactful and he is so deserving of this special recognition.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor