Former VP receives award

William R. Butler, vice president emeritus at the University of Miami, has been awarded with the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society’s Distinguished Lifetime Membership Award.

This award is given to notable Mortar Board alumni, who exemplify the honor society’s founding principles of scholarship, leadership and service.

Butler has been an administrator and educator at the University of Miami for more than 50 years.

His contributions to the university include establishing the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges and opening the Wellness Center.

He also founded the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, which provides service and leadership opportunities to student volunteers at the university.

In 1990, he worked with the City of Coral Gables to name a street after Mary A. Brunson, founder of UM’s Mortar Board chapter.

In that same year, he was initiated as an honorary member of the university’s Mortar Board chapter.

Since his retirement in 1997, Butler has written two books about the globalization of the university and student initiatives.

“I was thrilled to hear that Butler has received the Mortar Board Lifetime Achievement Award,” said Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. “His cutting-edge work in student affairs at UM and his leadership in higher education was incredibly impactful and he is so deserving of this special recognition.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...