Former VP receives award

William R. Butler, vice president emeritus at the University of Miami, has been awarded with the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society’s Distinguished Lifetime Membership Award.

This award is given to notable Mortar Board alumni, who exemplify the honor society’s founding principles of scholarship, leadership and service.

Butler has been an administrator and educator at the University of Miami for more than 50 years.

His contributions to the university include establishing the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges and opening the Wellness Center.

He also founded the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, which provides service and leadership opportunities to student volunteers at the university.

In 1990, he worked with the City of Coral Gables to name a street after Mary A. Brunson, founder of UM’s Mortar Board chapter.

In that same year, he was initiated as an honorary member of the university’s Mortar Board chapter.

Since his retirement in 1997, Butler has written two books about the globalization of the university and student initiatives.

“I was thrilled to hear that Butler has received the Mortar Board Lifetime Achievement Award,” said Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. “His cutting-edge work in student affairs at UM and his leadership in higher education was incredibly impactful and he is so deserving of this special recognition.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...