Academics, News

Bar and Gavel welcomes new members

The University of Miami School of Law’s Society of Bar and Gavel will welcome new members at its semiannual initiation on Sept. 29.

“The Society of Bar and Gavel is an honors society that recognizes students who contribute in four domains: service, character, attitude and leadership,” said Leah Weston, secretary of the society. “We look for students who selflessly contribute to the betterment of campus and the community.”

“The society was established in 1949 and is considered the highest honor attainable for UM law students,” President Pauline Green said.

Bar and Gavel members are involved in a variety of campus events like the Bar and Gavel sponsored Canes Carnival, an on-campus carnival for local elementary school children, and Race Judicata, a 5-kilometer run through the UM campus.

“We want to remind people that an attorney’s duty is to serve the community,” Green said. “Accepted applicants will be tapped on campus and brought to the private initiation event.”

“The initiation process is a celebration of the achievements of our members, a reflection on the duties associated with being a leader and a reminder of our interests in public service,” Green said. “It’s funny. We say, ‘interest in’ public service or ‘interest in’ leadership, but I think in fact it’s just a part of who we are.”

Law students are invited to apply or to nominate their classmates.

Members are looking for applicants who uphold the four tenants of Bar and Gavel.

“Some students are really involved with the community, others in the profession,” said Dean Marni Lennon, faculty adviser to the society. “Each applicant has a different recipe, but it’s all about their dedication to service.”

Both tangible and intangible qualities of leadership are considered in the applicants.

“People focus on traditional markers of leadership, such as named leadership positions,” Weston said. “But the intangible things, like how someone handles themselves in difficult situations or just always being friendly, are what we look for in an applicant.”

Applications are reviewed by all 20 members of Bar and Gavel, rather than just the executive board, according to Green.

“It’s a collective selection process,” Weston said. “Every member has a say in recognizing our peers, just as we were recognized.”

Lennon agreed.

“It’s really important for [members]to get to know all of the applicants,” she said. “Students are students. They’re motivated by being connected to people.”

Lainey Meiri

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...