Weightlifting possible for the gym novice

Danny New

Danny New

At the Wellness Center, you’ll find tall people, small people, and people who can eat all of those people. By this, I am of course referring to the ginormous behemoths who rule over UM’s fitness realm with bulging arms and youth small T-shirts.However, the weight room is not limited to uncomfortably muscular wildebeests. There are also students less likely to eat a small village – ones who have the athletic ability of a jellyfish.

If you are one of them, there are ways to assimilate into campus fitness culture without embarrassment. Do not worry, my fellow skinny willies: I have an impeccable strategy that will successfully introduce us all to the World of Wellness.

First off, we must wear smaller clothing. A key component of the fitness lifestyle is to look as “swole” as possible. No matter your shirt size, buy it two sizes smaller. Or shop at Baby Gap. And don’t forget the headband. Or the oil.

Next, master the gym language. To be a part of the Wellness Center’s vibrant culture, one must partake in the playful banter essential to the lifting society. If someone asks about your training plan, say, “I’m on my hundredth set, so I’ll rep a few more before I switch back to one-handed with these guns.” (This brings me to important key terms. Arms are guns. Abs are washboards. Legs don’t exist at all.)

Finally, my most important point is to literally do none of these things. In fact, if you do, you will be consumed by a large flock of ibises. The only way to appropriately learn weight lifting is to embrace being a novice. Be open about it. Say, “Hey, nice to meet you. Yes, it’s true – I indeed have trouble lifting the toilet seat sometimes.” This flawless tactic lets lifters know that you have no athletic capability but are willing to learn. Wellness warriors will then congregate and act as guides on your quest for muscles.

There are hundreds of people in the Wellness Center who would love to brag and share their workout routine with you. (That’s the only reason they go anyway). Just be honest, and, in no time, you’ll be a muscular brick house. But please, when you get big, don’t eat me.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...