News Briefs 9/19

A Better High

Author of “A Better High,” Matt Bellace will be speaking at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom. The event is sponsored by Pier 21. As a comedian and clinical psychologist, Bellace is bringing his unique message about alcohol and other drugs to campus in this interactive program. For more information, visit Miami.edu/Pier21 or Facebook.com/UMPier21.

Miami Bash 

End summer with a bash on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Student Activities Center. Canes After Dark will provide barbecue from Shorty’s, smoothies, photo post cards and a comedy show by Alfred and Seymour. This new monthly tradition features music, food, giveaways and entertainment, all for free.

Football Game

Cheer on the Canes at 7 p.m. Saturday as they play against Savannah State. Tickets are available at canestix.com. Buses will depart the BankUnited Center at 4 p.m. and the first return bus begins at halftime. A valid Cane Card is required to board the bus.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...