News Briefs 9/19

A Better High

Author of “A Better High,” Matt Bellace will be speaking at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom. The event is sponsored by Pier 21. As a comedian and clinical psychologist, Bellace is bringing his unique message about alcohol and other drugs to campus in this interactive program. For more information, visit Miami.edu/Pier21 or Facebook.com/UMPier21.

Miami Bash 

End summer with a bash on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Student Activities Center. Canes After Dark will provide barbecue from Shorty’s, smoothies, photo post cards and a comedy show by Alfred and Seymour. This new monthly tradition features music, food, giveaways and entertainment, all for free.

Football Game

Cheer on the Canes at 7 p.m. Saturday as they play against Savannah State. Tickets are available at canestix.com. Buses will depart the BankUnited Center at 4 p.m. and the first return bus begins at halftime. A valid Cane Card is required to board the bus.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...