News Briefs 9/19

A Better High

Author of “A Better High,” Matt Bellace will be speaking at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom. The event is sponsored by Pier 21. As a comedian and clinical psychologist, Bellace is bringing his unique message about alcohol and other drugs to campus in this interactive program. For more information, visit Miami.edu/Pier21 or Facebook.com/UMPier21.

Miami Bash 

End summer with a bash on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Student Activities Center. Canes After Dark will provide barbecue from Shorty’s, smoothies, photo post cards and a comedy show by Alfred and Seymour. This new monthly tradition features music, food, giveaways and entertainment, all for free.

Football Game

Cheer on the Canes at 7 p.m. Saturday as they play against Savannah State. Tickets are available at canestix.com. Buses will depart the BankUnited Center at 4 p.m. and the first return bus begins at halftime. A valid Cane Card is required to board the bus.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...