V's Take

Dear V: I’m trying to avoid the chub…

V,

I’m a freshman and I don’t know how to avoid the “freshman 15.” I’ve been trying to go to the gym on a regular basis, but between classes, extracurriculars and studying, I don’t seem to have much time. And it’s hard to resist the carby foods in the dining hall. 

How do I get through my freshman year without turning into a beluga whale? 

Sincerely,

Ugly Betty

Dear Peggy Olson,

I’m not much of an energizer bunny myself. When I go to the gym I just walk around in my yoga pants and pink sneakers and wait for a cute boy to compliment my ponytail … think Cher Horowitz in “Clueless.” That being said, I try to watch what I eat as closely as I can.

No one is forcing you to go to Zumba every week or conquer Jacob’s Ladder. Two-a-days are reserved for football players, and frankly, if you’re eating the way I think you’re eating, you’re going to be way too pregnant with that food baby to even leave your dorm.

You should make time in your schedule to be active. You’re a freshman, which means you’re not that busy yet. You just got here you have nothing to do but go to class, study and sleep – and don’t try to pull the “I’m an engineering major” bulls#!* because everyone knows your first year is chock-full of electives and gen-eds.

I mean to say this very loudly and clearly – put down the muffin and walk away. It’s not doing anyone any good to see you wear sweatpants because that’s all that fits you right now.

You can only wear jeans or track pants once a week.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...