V's Take

Dear V: I’m trying to avoid the chub…

V,

I’m a freshman and I don’t know how to avoid the “freshman 15.” I’ve been trying to go to the gym on a regular basis, but between classes, extracurriculars and studying, I don’t seem to have much time. And it’s hard to resist the carby foods in the dining hall. 

How do I get through my freshman year without turning into a beluga whale? 

Sincerely,

Ugly Betty

Dear Peggy Olson,

I’m not much of an energizer bunny myself. When I go to the gym I just walk around in my yoga pants and pink sneakers and wait for a cute boy to compliment my ponytail … think Cher Horowitz in “Clueless.” That being said, I try to watch what I eat as closely as I can.

No one is forcing you to go to Zumba every week or conquer Jacob’s Ladder. Two-a-days are reserved for football players, and frankly, if you’re eating the way I think you’re eating, you’re going to be way too pregnant with that food baby to even leave your dorm.

You should make time in your schedule to be active. You’re a freshman, which means you’re not that busy yet. You just got here you have nothing to do but go to class, study and sleep – and don’t try to pull the “I’m an engineering major” bulls#!* because everyone knows your first year is chock-full of electives and gen-eds.

I mean to say this very loudly and clearly – put down the muffin and walk away. It’s not doing anyone any good to see you wear sweatpants because that’s all that fits you right now.

You can only wear jeans or track pants once a week.

Advice Columnist

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...