Breathe freely initiative off to healthy start

Last month, the university instituted the final phase of its Breathe Freely campaign, becoming completely smoke-free. All designated smoking areas on the Coral Gables campus have been removed, and students, faculty and staff must now go to the perimeter of campus if they wish to smoke.When I first heard that the University of Miami was becoming smoke-free, I looked forward to walking around campus without smelling or breathing in others’ smoke. Although I was happy about the change, I was also skeptical.

When there were designated smoking areas, people still smoked where they pleased and faced no consequences. I assumed that the new initiative would face the same fate.

But I was wrong. I rarely see anyone smoking on campus. The policy is not only being adhered to, but also regularly enforced – by students, in fact. UMPD is not required to ask students smoking on campus to refrain from doing so, nor do the officers have the authority to issue fines at this time. As a result, I have seen students approach smokers, remind them that this is now a smoke-free campus, and ask them to put out their cigarettes.

Every time that this has happened, the student smoker has obliged without protest. It says a lot to have students willingly performing this role. This is truly something that UM students wanted.

As with all new initiatives, there are still some grey areas. Students are confused about whether electronic cigarettes are also banned or if the new policy refers exclusively to traditional tobacco products.

E-cigarettes are considered safer than traditional ones because they emit water vapor instead of toxic secondhand smoke. Thus, there are students who feel these should be excluded from the new smoking ban.

There has also been concern expressed for the safety of the students who now have to leave campus in order to smoke. It may not be fair or wise to have students place themselves in potentially dangerous situations just to comply with the new policy.

However, having a smoke-free campus adds to the aesthetics of our already stunning university. Whether you realize it, not having to walk through or avoid clouds of smoke every day makes a difference.

In its beginning stages, this initiative is going to take patience, and the public is going to need to be educated on the new policy. But surely the Breathe Freely initiative is off to a great start, and it’s here to stay.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...