Work ethic shapes reputation

The strong academic culture that makes the University of Miami an elite institution shows a shift in focus from days in the sun to nights in the stacks.
It’s hard to believe that UM was officially ranked the best college in Florida by the U.S. News & World Report only four years ago. It’s even harder to believe that UM was still working to shake off its “Suntan U” image well into the ‘90s.
But what’s most surprising is that despite the fact that UM is now a top-50 school, there are still people around the country who see UM as otherwise.
Even recently, employers have remarked that they were surprised to see such skilled candidates from UM. Graduate school admissions officers have similarly questioned the value of a UM education.
Indeed, there was a time when UM was essentially a vacation spot. Campus had fewer places to study and more places to play. There was a bowling alley in the University Center, and the Rat was open so late that it had a bouncer. And we acknowledge that.
Today, UM students get to have a good time while receiving an incredible education. We learn from acclaimed professors and study in top-notch facilities. This college is full of student leaders, ones who have dined with the president of the United States, and dozens of others who receive prestigious fellowships each year.
Freshmen still tan on the intramural fields, but who wouldn’t when it’s 85 degrees and sunny? Warm weather attracts Northeasterners to South Florida, and it also attracts the snowbirds’ grandchildren to UM. Weather is an important factor that actually affects a student’s happiness and success.
We will undeniably face outsiders who look down on our school. In South Florida, everyone knows the true value of the U. Others beyond have not caught up with the times. It’s up to alumni – that’s us, once we graduate – to strengthen UM’s reputation and expand its network by excelling in their fields.
Reputation matters. To an extent. The college you attend is one of the first factors by which you’ll be judged when you apply to internships now as well as jobs and graduate schools in the future. But it’s only a superficial measure.
In a professional setting, the way to break through UM’s unfounded reputation is to stand on your own merits: the internships you’ve held, the projects you’ve spearheaded, and the challenging courses you’ve taken – all thanks to this university.
We are products of the U. We are proud to be products of the U. And we are great products, at that.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...