News Briefs 9/16

MASCOT TRYOUTS

Ever wondered how it feels to lead a student section in a Canes spell out at a football game? If you think you have what it takes to pump up a crowd, attend the information session for Sebastian the Ibis tryouts at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Room 211.

RAY LEWIS

Hurricane Productions and Student Government are presenting  “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Oct. 2 in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Lewis will be giving two separate talks at 6 and 8 p.m. Tickets will be available Sept. 23 at the UC ticket window.

HOMECOMING

The first Homecoming 2013 meeting will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the third floor of the Student Activities Center in the South Ballroom. Students are encouraged to form groups with friends, organizations or residential halls to participate in events, including a parade, and singing and dancing competitions.

FRENCH SPEAKER

The Miami-Florida European Union (EU) Center of Excellence, a partnership with Florida International University, and the Jean Monnet Chair of the University of Miami, will host a guest roundtable and presentation titled “France Today: role at the UN and the European Union, relations with the United States, recent political developments, and the Syrian crisis.” Speakers include Joaquín Roy, Director of the EU Center; Ambler H. Moss, Jr, Professor of International Studies; and Haim Shaked, Director, Miller Center. Philippe Létrilliart, consul general of France, will give the keynote presentation. The event will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Room 126 of the Ferre Building.

CAREER FAIR

The Toppel Career Center will host the Fall Career Expo & Graduate Fair from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the BankUnited Center. More than 100 companies are expected to attend.

For more on the event, check out Taylor Duckett’s opinion on page 5.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.  

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...