News Briefs 9/16

MASCOT TRYOUTS

Ever wondered how it feels to lead a student section in a Canes spell out at a football game? If you think you have what it takes to pump up a crowd, attend the information session for Sebastian the Ibis tryouts at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Room 211.

RAY LEWIS

Hurricane Productions and Student Government are presenting  “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Oct. 2 in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Lewis will be giving two separate talks at 6 and 8 p.m. Tickets will be available Sept. 23 at the UC ticket window.

HOMECOMING

The first Homecoming 2013 meeting will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the third floor of the Student Activities Center in the South Ballroom. Students are encouraged to form groups with friends, organizations or residential halls to participate in events, including a parade, and singing and dancing competitions.

FRENCH SPEAKER

The Miami-Florida European Union (EU) Center of Excellence, a partnership with Florida International University, and the Jean Monnet Chair of the University of Miami, will host a guest roundtable and presentation titled “France Today: role at the UN and the European Union, relations with the United States, recent political developments, and the Syrian crisis.” Speakers include Joaquín Roy, Director of the EU Center; Ambler H. Moss, Jr, Professor of International Studies; and Haim Shaked, Director, Miller Center. Philippe Létrilliart, consul general of France, will give the keynote presentation. The event will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Room 126 of the Ferre Building.

CAREER FAIR

The Toppel Career Center will host the Fall Career Expo & Graduate Fair from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the BankUnited Center. More than 100 companies are expected to attend.

For more on the event, check out Taylor Duckett’s opinion on page 5.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.  

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...