News Briefs 9/16

MASCOT TRYOUTS

Ever wondered how it feels to lead a student section in a Canes spell out at a football game? If you think you have what it takes to pump up a crowd, attend the information session for Sebastian the Ibis tryouts at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Room 211.

RAY LEWIS

Hurricane Productions and Student Government are presenting  “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Oct. 2 in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Lewis will be giving two separate talks at 6 and 8 p.m. Tickets will be available Sept. 23 at the UC ticket window.

HOMECOMING

The first Homecoming 2013 meeting will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the third floor of the Student Activities Center in the South Ballroom. Students are encouraged to form groups with friends, organizations or residential halls to participate in events, including a parade, and singing and dancing competitions.

FRENCH SPEAKER

The Miami-Florida European Union (EU) Center of Excellence, a partnership with Florida International University, and the Jean Monnet Chair of the University of Miami, will host a guest roundtable and presentation titled “France Today: role at the UN and the European Union, relations with the United States, recent political developments, and the Syrian crisis.” Speakers include Joaquín Roy, Director of the EU Center; Ambler H. Moss, Jr, Professor of International Studies; and Haim Shaked, Director, Miller Center. Philippe Létrilliart, consul general of France, will give the keynote presentation. The event will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Room 126 of the Ferre Building.

CAREER FAIR

The Toppel Career Center will host the Fall Career Expo & Graduate Fair from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the BankUnited Center. More than 100 companies are expected to attend.

For more on the event, check out Taylor Duckett’s opinion on page 5.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.  

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...