Networking increases job options

College is supposed to be fun and memorable, but at the end of the day, we are students first. We are here to get an education so that we can either get a job or create one. When we get handed our diplomas, we aren’t also handed a set of job options on a silver platter. It is our responsibility to make sure that we secure a full-time offer.

It is never too early to begin looking for jobs and internships. Dust off your interview suit, print your resume and get ready to network with recruiters from your dream employers. More than 100 companies will be at the Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair Thursday. Think of it as CanesFest, but without the pushing and chaos.

It’s not often that recruiters come to universities in this magnitude. They are all searching for the best and brightest at the University of Miami. If you don’t go, you can count yourself out of the race before it has even begun. These companies will be in our backyard, so there is no excuse not to go.

If you don’t plan to enter the workforce right after college, there will be also be graduate schools on site. Recruiters can provide valuable insight that you may not be able to get otherwise.

If you are going to grad school, it doesn’t hurt to talk to companies, too. Many of them offer internships that will not only make you more marketable, but also help you decide if the career path is right for you.

Visit hireacane.com for help with resumes and professional dress. Students can also download the Miami Career Fair Plus phone application that allows attendees to look at the companies and schools coming, create a favorites list, and then use the map to navigate the event.

Every moment spent networking with a recruiter is time invested in your future. Make room in your schedule to stop by the career fair. All it takes is a short walk to the BankUnited Center.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...