Networking increases job options

College is supposed to be fun and memorable, but at the end of the day, we are students first. We are here to get an education so that we can either get a job or create one. When we get handed our diplomas, we aren’t also handed a set of job options on a silver platter. It is our responsibility to make sure that we secure a full-time offer.

It is never too early to begin looking for jobs and internships. Dust off your interview suit, print your resume and get ready to network with recruiters from your dream employers. More than 100 companies will be at the Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair Thursday. Think of it as CanesFest, but without the pushing and chaos.

It’s not often that recruiters come to universities in this magnitude. They are all searching for the best and brightest at the University of Miami. If you don’t go, you can count yourself out of the race before it has even begun. These companies will be in our backyard, so there is no excuse not to go.

If you don’t plan to enter the workforce right after college, there will be also be graduate schools on site. Recruiters can provide valuable insight that you may not be able to get otherwise.

If you are going to grad school, it doesn’t hurt to talk to companies, too. Many of them offer internships that will not only make you more marketable, but also help you decide if the career path is right for you.

Visit hireacane.com for help with resumes and professional dress. Students can also download the Miami Career Fair Plus phone application that allows attendees to look at the companies and schools coming, create a favorites list, and then use the map to navigate the event.

Every moment spent networking with a recruiter is time invested in your future. Make room in your schedule to stop by the career fair. All it takes is a short walk to the BankUnited Center.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...