Networking increases job options

College is supposed to be fun and memorable, but at the end of the day, we are students first. We are here to get an education so that we can either get a job or create one. When we get handed our diplomas, we aren’t also handed a set of job options on a silver platter. It is our responsibility to make sure that we secure a full-time offer.

It is never too early to begin looking for jobs and internships. Dust off your interview suit, print your resume and get ready to network with recruiters from your dream employers. More than 100 companies will be at the Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair Thursday. Think of it as CanesFest, but without the pushing and chaos.

It’s not often that recruiters come to universities in this magnitude. They are all searching for the best and brightest at the University of Miami. If you don’t go, you can count yourself out of the race before it has even begun. These companies will be in our backyard, so there is no excuse not to go.

If you don’t plan to enter the workforce right after college, there will be also be graduate schools on site. Recruiters can provide valuable insight that you may not be able to get otherwise.

If you are going to grad school, it doesn’t hurt to talk to companies, too. Many of them offer internships that will not only make you more marketable, but also help you decide if the career path is right for you.

Visit hireacane.com for help with resumes and professional dress. Students can also download the Miami Career Fair Plus phone application that allows attendees to look at the companies and schools coming, create a favorites list, and then use the map to navigate the event.

Every moment spent networking with a recruiter is time invested in your future. Make room in your schedule to stop by the career fair. All it takes is a short walk to the BankUnited Center.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...