Networking increases job options

College is supposed to be fun and memorable, but at the end of the day, we are students first. We are here to get an education so that we can either get a job or create one. When we get handed our diplomas, we aren’t also handed a set of job options on a silver platter. It is our responsibility to make sure that we secure a full-time offer.

It is never too early to begin looking for jobs and internships. Dust off your interview suit, print your resume and get ready to network with recruiters from your dream employers. More than 100 companies will be at the Fall Career Expo & Graduate School Fair Thursday. Think of it as CanesFest, but without the pushing and chaos.

It’s not often that recruiters come to universities in this magnitude. They are all searching for the best and brightest at the University of Miami. If you don’t go, you can count yourself out of the race before it has even begun. These companies will be in our backyard, so there is no excuse not to go.

If you don’t plan to enter the workforce right after college, there will be also be graduate schools on site. Recruiters can provide valuable insight that you may not be able to get otherwise.

If you are going to grad school, it doesn’t hurt to talk to companies, too. Many of them offer internships that will not only make you more marketable, but also help you decide if the career path is right for you.

Visit hireacane.com for help with resumes and professional dress. Students can also download the Miami Career Fair Plus phone application that allows attendees to look at the companies and schools coming, create a favorites list, and then use the map to navigate the event.

Every moment spent networking with a recruiter is time invested in your future. Make room in your schedule to stop by the career fair. All it takes is a short walk to the BankUnited Center.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...