Community, Edge

Fitness classes provide fun options for everyone

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on September 5th for Yoga on the Green--a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on Sept. 5 for Yoga on the Green – a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

If you’re one of the many students who hit the gym the first week of school, then don’t go back until finals, you’re not alone. This happens to much of the student body every year after setting hopeful resolutions about fitness in August. But the Wellness Center has introduced some new classes that might help students stick to an exercise regimen.

Nikki Reifschneider, assistant director of group exercise and community classes at the Wellness Center, is excited about the changes. Some of the new classes like Slow Flow yoga and Cycle 101 are perfect for fitness newbies, and with the sedentary lifestyles of students,  Reifschneider said that exercising in college is more important than ever.

“Health and wellbeing is so important to overall life that it’s important to acquire these skills early on,” Reifschneider said.

Never tried a class at the Wellness Center? Check out some of The Miami Hurricane’s picks, and see the full schedule online at miami.edu/wellness.

CFunk

“CFunk,” the new title of the familiar “Cardio Funk” class, is back and more popular than ever. It’s a dance class with hip-hop and pop songs, keeping the class energetic.

Times: 4:20 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cycle 101

If you’re interested in spinning but not sure where to start, you might want to check out the new “Cycle 101” class. Instructors show up 15 minutes early to help students set up, and the classes are free of charge. It’s been difficult for the Wellness Center to get students to try spinning, since the studio’s tucked away on the second floor of the building. Reifschneider hopes that the free classes will encourage spinning newbies to give it a shot and take advantage of the premier spin studio at the Wellness Center.

Times: Noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to noon on Thursdays

Yoga

Christina Sava will be teaching three different yoga classes this semester.

First up is free yoga on the Green, which takes place at 6 p.m. on Thursdays.

Sava is also teaching Yoga for Strength and Slow Flow yoga at the Wellness Center.

Yoga for Strength teaches students to hold poses for longer time periods, focusing on building strength and stability throughout the body.

Times: 4 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays

Slow Flow classes are great for beginner yogis and extremely beneficial if you’re used to doing just weights and cardio. Incorporating stretching into your workout routine helps your body heal, which builds strength and allows you to “get swole” without injuries.

Times: 5 to 6:20 p.m. on Sundays

Amanda Wood

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...