Community, Edge

Fitness classes provide fun options for everyone

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on September 5th for Yoga on the Green--a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on Sept. 5 for Yoga on the Green – a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

If you’re one of the many students who hit the gym the first week of school, then don’t go back until finals, you’re not alone. This happens to much of the student body every year after setting hopeful resolutions about fitness in August. But the Wellness Center has introduced some new classes that might help students stick to an exercise regimen.

Nikki Reifschneider, assistant director of group exercise and community classes at the Wellness Center, is excited about the changes. Some of the new classes like Slow Flow yoga and Cycle 101 are perfect for fitness newbies, and with the sedentary lifestyles of students,  Reifschneider said that exercising in college is more important than ever.

“Health and wellbeing is so important to overall life that it’s important to acquire these skills early on,” Reifschneider said.

Never tried a class at the Wellness Center? Check out some of The Miami Hurricane’s picks, and see the full schedule online at miami.edu/wellness.

CFunk

“CFunk,” the new title of the familiar “Cardio Funk” class, is back and more popular than ever. It’s a dance class with hip-hop and pop songs, keeping the class energetic.

Times: 4:20 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cycle 101

If you’re interested in spinning but not sure where to start, you might want to check out the new “Cycle 101” class. Instructors show up 15 minutes early to help students set up, and the classes are free of charge. It’s been difficult for the Wellness Center to get students to try spinning, since the studio’s tucked away on the second floor of the building. Reifschneider hopes that the free classes will encourage spinning newbies to give it a shot and take advantage of the premier spin studio at the Wellness Center.

Times: Noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to noon on Thursdays

Yoga

Christina Sava will be teaching three different yoga classes this semester.

First up is free yoga on the Green, which takes place at 6 p.m. on Thursdays.

Sava is also teaching Yoga for Strength and Slow Flow yoga at the Wellness Center.

Yoga for Strength teaches students to hold poses for longer time periods, focusing on building strength and stability throughout the body.

Times: 4 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays

Slow Flow classes are great for beginner yogis and extremely beneficial if you’re used to doing just weights and cardio. Incorporating stretching into your workout routine helps your body heal, which builds strength and allows you to “get swole” without injuries.

Times: 5 to 6:20 p.m. on Sundays

Amanda Wood

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...