Community, Edge

Fitness classes provide fun options for everyone

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on September 5th for Yoga on the Green--a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on Sept. 5 for Yoga on the Green – a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

If you’re one of the many students who hit the gym the first week of school, then don’t go back until finals, you’re not alone. This happens to much of the student body every year after setting hopeful resolutions about fitness in August. But the Wellness Center has introduced some new classes that might help students stick to an exercise regimen.

Nikki Reifschneider, assistant director of group exercise and community classes at the Wellness Center, is excited about the changes. Some of the new classes like Slow Flow yoga and Cycle 101 are perfect for fitness newbies, and with the sedentary lifestyles of students,  Reifschneider said that exercising in college is more important than ever.

“Health and wellbeing is so important to overall life that it’s important to acquire these skills early on,” Reifschneider said.

Never tried a class at the Wellness Center? Check out some of The Miami Hurricane’s picks, and see the full schedule online at miami.edu/wellness.

CFunk

“CFunk,” the new title of the familiar “Cardio Funk” class, is back and more popular than ever. It’s a dance class with hip-hop and pop songs, keeping the class energetic.

Times: 4:20 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cycle 101

If you’re interested in spinning but not sure where to start, you might want to check out the new “Cycle 101” class. Instructors show up 15 minutes early to help students set up, and the classes are free of charge. It’s been difficult for the Wellness Center to get students to try spinning, since the studio’s tucked away on the second floor of the building. Reifschneider hopes that the free classes will encourage spinning newbies to give it a shot and take advantage of the premier spin studio at the Wellness Center.

Times: Noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to noon on Thursdays

Yoga

Christina Sava will be teaching three different yoga classes this semester.

First up is free yoga on the Green, which takes place at 6 p.m. on Thursdays.

Sava is also teaching Yoga for Strength and Slow Flow yoga at the Wellness Center.

Yoga for Strength teaches students to hold poses for longer time periods, focusing on building strength and stability throughout the body.

Times: 4 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays

Slow Flow classes are great for beginner yogis and extremely beneficial if you’re used to doing just weights and cardio. Incorporating stretching into your workout routine helps your body heal, which builds strength and allows you to “get swole” without injuries.

Times: 5 to 6:20 p.m. on Sundays

Amanda Wood

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...