Community, Edge

Fitness classes provide fun options for everyone

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on September 5th for Yoga on the Green--a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on Sept. 5 for Yoga on the Green – a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

If you’re one of the many students who hit the gym the first week of school, then don’t go back until finals, you’re not alone. This happens to much of the student body every year after setting hopeful resolutions about fitness in August. But the Wellness Center has introduced some new classes that might help students stick to an exercise regimen.

Nikki Reifschneider, assistant director of group exercise and community classes at the Wellness Center, is excited about the changes. Some of the new classes like Slow Flow yoga and Cycle 101 are perfect for fitness newbies, and with the sedentary lifestyles of students,  Reifschneider said that exercising in college is more important than ever.

“Health and wellbeing is so important to overall life that it’s important to acquire these skills early on,” Reifschneider said.

Never tried a class at the Wellness Center? Check out some of The Miami Hurricane’s picks, and see the full schedule online at miami.edu/wellness.

CFunk

“CFunk,” the new title of the familiar “Cardio Funk” class, is back and more popular than ever. It’s a dance class with hip-hop and pop songs, keeping the class energetic.

Times: 4:20 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cycle 101

If you’re interested in spinning but not sure where to start, you might want to check out the new “Cycle 101” class. Instructors show up 15 minutes early to help students set up, and the classes are free of charge. It’s been difficult for the Wellness Center to get students to try spinning, since the studio’s tucked away on the second floor of the building. Reifschneider hopes that the free classes will encourage spinning newbies to give it a shot and take advantage of the premier spin studio at the Wellness Center.

Times: Noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to noon on Thursdays

Yoga

Christina Sava will be teaching three different yoga classes this semester.

First up is free yoga on the Green, which takes place at 6 p.m. on Thursdays.

Sava is also teaching Yoga for Strength and Slow Flow yoga at the Wellness Center.

Yoga for Strength teaches students to hold poses for longer time periods, focusing on building strength and stability throughout the body.

Times: 4 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays

Slow Flow classes are great for beginner yogis and extremely beneficial if you’re used to doing just weights and cardio. Incorporating stretching into your workout routine helps your body heal, which builds strength and allows you to “get swole” without injuries.

Times: 5 to 6:20 p.m. on Sundays

Amanda Wood

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...