Community, Edge

Fitness classes provide fun options for everyone

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on September 5th for Yoga on the Green--a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Nikhita Allam participates in a Vinyasa flow class on Sept. 5 for Yoga on the Green – a University of Miami initiative that hosts free yoga classes every Thursday for members of the Coral Gables community. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

If you’re one of the many students who hit the gym the first week of school, then don’t go back until finals, you’re not alone. This happens to much of the student body every year after setting hopeful resolutions about fitness in August. But the Wellness Center has introduced some new classes that might help students stick to an exercise regimen.

Nikki Reifschneider, assistant director of group exercise and community classes at the Wellness Center, is excited about the changes. Some of the new classes like Slow Flow yoga and Cycle 101 are perfect for fitness newbies, and with the sedentary lifestyles of students,  Reifschneider said that exercising in college is more important than ever.

“Health and wellbeing is so important to overall life that it’s important to acquire these skills early on,” Reifschneider said.

Never tried a class at the Wellness Center? Check out some of The Miami Hurricane’s picks, and see the full schedule online at miami.edu/wellness.

CFunk

“CFunk,” the new title of the familiar “Cardio Funk” class, is back and more popular than ever. It’s a dance class with hip-hop and pop songs, keeping the class energetic.

Times: 4:20 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Cycle 101

If you’re interested in spinning but not sure where to start, you might want to check out the new “Cycle 101” class. Instructors show up 15 minutes early to help students set up, and the classes are free of charge. It’s been difficult for the Wellness Center to get students to try spinning, since the studio’s tucked away on the second floor of the building. Reifschneider hopes that the free classes will encourage spinning newbies to give it a shot and take advantage of the premier spin studio at the Wellness Center.

Times: Noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, 11:15 a.m. to noon on Thursdays

Yoga

Christina Sava will be teaching three different yoga classes this semester.

First up is free yoga on the Green, which takes place at 6 p.m. on Thursdays.

Sava is also teaching Yoga for Strength and Slow Flow yoga at the Wellness Center.

Yoga for Strength teaches students to hold poses for longer time periods, focusing on building strength and stability throughout the body.

Times: 4 to 5:20 p.m. on Tuesdays

Slow Flow classes are great for beginner yogis and extremely beneficial if you’re used to doing just weights and cardio. Incorporating stretching into your workout routine helps your body heal, which builds strength and allows you to “get swole” without injuries.

Times: 5 to 6:20 p.m. on Sundays

Amanda Wood

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...