V's Take

Dear V: I’m nothing without my right-hand skank…

V,

I recently “broke up” with my best friend and I have no one to accompany me when I go out. I’m okay with being by myself, and I can make new friends, it’s just difficult mustering up the courage to go places on my own.  I don’t want to go to bars by myself or eat alone, it just feels weird. How do I go about getting myself out of this slump?

Sincerely,

All by myself

Dear Cady Heron,

We have all gone through this. And although your Regina George has made life miserable for you recently, there will always be a Damian and Janis to have your back.

Turn to the people that have always silently been there for you. Flashy Facebook posts and long dedications on Instagram aren’t what makes a friendship.

I’m familiar with the fear that overcomes us when we are forced to go anywhere alone, but it is oddly relaxing going somewhere to just eat and think. Take a lunch break at the food court and just chill and people-watch. You’d be amazed at the things you’ll notice and the problems you can sort out on your own.

My best advice in this situation is to just put up a giant middle finger, get dressed up and put yourself in a new situation. Maybe go out with your coworkers or those kids from your class project.

You’re a strong independent person and you don’t need an army of skanks to make you feel better.

Advice Columnist

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...