V's Take

Dear V: I’m nothing without my right-hand skank…

V,

I recently “broke up” with my best friend and I have no one to accompany me when I go out. I’m okay with being by myself, and I can make new friends, it’s just difficult mustering up the courage to go places on my own.  I don’t want to go to bars by myself or eat alone, it just feels weird. How do I go about getting myself out of this slump?

Sincerely,

All by myself

Dear Cady Heron,

We have all gone through this. And although your Regina George has made life miserable for you recently, there will always be a Damian and Janis to have your back.

Turn to the people that have always silently been there for you. Flashy Facebook posts and long dedications on Instagram aren’t what makes a friendship.

I’m familiar with the fear that overcomes us when we are forced to go anywhere alone, but it is oddly relaxing going somewhere to just eat and think. Take a lunch break at the food court and just chill and people-watch. You’d be amazed at the things you’ll notice and the problems you can sort out on your own.

My best advice in this situation is to just put up a giant middle finger, get dressed up and put yourself in a new situation. Maybe go out with your coworkers or those kids from your class project.

You’re a strong independent person and you don’t need an army of skanks to make you feel better.

Advice Columnist

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...