Academics, Campus Life, News

Changes to fall calendar lengthen breaks

The Office of the Registrar has recently modified the academic calendars for the current and upcoming semesters to incorporate changes made to the fall recess, Thanksgiving break and reading days.

The fall recess will take place from Oct. 17 to 20, and Thanksgiving break will take place from Nov. 23 to Dec. 1. In addition, Dec. 11 has been designated as the single reading day.

Compared to previous years, both holidays were lengthened considerably, although at the expense of reading days, which are seen by some students as much needed study time prior to final exams.

While the Office of the Registrar declined to comment, some students voiced their opinions.

“As a biomedical engineer, it is hard adjusting to college life as it is,” freshman Shannon Kelly said. “Cramming information in one day is going to be very hard.”

She adds that having less time to study will cause more anxiety, even if it means longer breaks.

Others students like junior Bernard Turi, however, are not worried about the study time.

“I don’t read during reading days, and now my Thanksgiving break is longer,” he said.

For Turi, the difficulty of finding airplane ticket to visit his family and friends for Thanksgiving break is a major concern that he hopes will be lessened by the longer breaks.

As of now, the calendar changes will stay the same for future fall semesters. The dates for the spring semester have not changed, according to the academic calendar posted on the registrar’s website.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For academic calendars visit miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar.

Cristina Londono

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...