Academics, Campus Life, News

Changes to fall calendar lengthen breaks

The Office of the Registrar has recently modified the academic calendars for the current and upcoming semesters to incorporate changes made to the fall recess, Thanksgiving break and reading days.

The fall recess will take place from Oct. 17 to 20, and Thanksgiving break will take place from Nov. 23 to Dec. 1. In addition, Dec. 11 has been designated as the single reading day.

Compared to previous years, both holidays were lengthened considerably, although at the expense of reading days, which are seen by some students as much needed study time prior to final exams.

While the Office of the Registrar declined to comment, some students voiced their opinions.

“As a biomedical engineer, it is hard adjusting to college life as it is,” freshman Shannon Kelly said. “Cramming information in one day is going to be very hard.”

She adds that having less time to study will cause more anxiety, even if it means longer breaks.

Others students like junior Bernard Turi, however, are not worried about the study time.

“I don’t read during reading days, and now my Thanksgiving break is longer,” he said.

For Turi, the difficulty of finding airplane ticket to visit his family and friends for Thanksgiving break is a major concern that he hopes will be lessened by the longer breaks.

As of now, the calendar changes will stay the same for future fall semesters. The dates for the spring semester have not changed, according to the academic calendar posted on the registrar’s website.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For academic calendars visit miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar.

Cristina Londono

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...