Academics, Campus Life, News

Changes to fall calendar lengthen breaks

The Office of the Registrar has recently modified the academic calendars for the current and upcoming semesters to incorporate changes made to the fall recess, Thanksgiving break and reading days.

The fall recess will take place from Oct. 17 to 20, and Thanksgiving break will take place from Nov. 23 to Dec. 1. In addition, Dec. 11 has been designated as the single reading day.

Compared to previous years, both holidays were lengthened considerably, although at the expense of reading days, which are seen by some students as much needed study time prior to final exams.

While the Office of the Registrar declined to comment, some students voiced their opinions.

“As a biomedical engineer, it is hard adjusting to college life as it is,” freshman Shannon Kelly said. “Cramming information in one day is going to be very hard.”

She adds that having less time to study will cause more anxiety, even if it means longer breaks.

Others students like junior Bernard Turi, however, are not worried about the study time.

“I don’t read during reading days, and now my Thanksgiving break is longer,” he said.

For Turi, the difficulty of finding airplane ticket to visit his family and friends for Thanksgiving break is a major concern that he hopes will be lessened by the longer breaks.

As of now, the calendar changes will stay the same for future fall semesters. The dates for the spring semester have not changed, according to the academic calendar posted on the registrar’s website.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For academic calendars visit miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar.

Cristina Londono

TikTok’s rapid rise in popularity presents a business opportunity, as well as concerns about privacy ...

Miller School of Medicine professor JoNell Potter testifies before a Congressional subcommittee on h ...

A Fall Commencement speaker encourages graduates to “drink in the eternal foundation of happiness” b ...

As more hazardous hurricanes affect more disadvantaged populations, climate and public health expert ...

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

The Miami men's basketball team is set to compete on an NBA court Tuesday night in Brooklyn, N. ...

Hurricanes Michelle Atherley and Estela Perez-Somarriba both won national championships in their res ...

Playing at home for the first time in four weeks, the Miami men's basketball team topped Alabam ...

Twenty-three student-athletes earned degrees from the University of Miami in 2019 Fall Commencement ...

After going 27 days without a home game, the Miami men's basketball team will be back in action ...