Academics, Campus Life, News

Changes to fall calendar lengthen breaks

The Office of the Registrar has recently modified the academic calendars for the current and upcoming semesters to incorporate changes made to the fall recess, Thanksgiving break and reading days.

The fall recess will take place from Oct. 17 to 20, and Thanksgiving break will take place from Nov. 23 to Dec. 1. In addition, Dec. 11 has been designated as the single reading day.

Compared to previous years, both holidays were lengthened considerably, although at the expense of reading days, which are seen by some students as much needed study time prior to final exams.

While the Office of the Registrar declined to comment, some students voiced their opinions.

“As a biomedical engineer, it is hard adjusting to college life as it is,” freshman Shannon Kelly said. “Cramming information in one day is going to be very hard.”

She adds that having less time to study will cause more anxiety, even if it means longer breaks.

Others students like junior Bernard Turi, however, are not worried about the study time.

“I don’t read during reading days, and now my Thanksgiving break is longer,” he said.

For Turi, the difficulty of finding airplane ticket to visit his family and friends for Thanksgiving break is a major concern that he hopes will be lessened by the longer breaks.

As of now, the calendar changes will stay the same for future fall semesters. The dates for the spring semester have not changed, according to the academic calendar posted on the registrar’s website.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For academic calendars visit miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar.

Cristina Londono

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...