Academics, Campus Life, News

Changes to fall calendar lengthen breaks

The Office of the Registrar has recently modified the academic calendars for the current and upcoming semesters to incorporate changes made to the fall recess, Thanksgiving break and reading days.

The fall recess will take place from Oct. 17 to 20, and Thanksgiving break will take place from Nov. 23 to Dec. 1. In addition, Dec. 11 has been designated as the single reading day.

Compared to previous years, both holidays were lengthened considerably, although at the expense of reading days, which are seen by some students as much needed study time prior to final exams.

While the Office of the Registrar declined to comment, some students voiced their opinions.

“As a biomedical engineer, it is hard adjusting to college life as it is,” freshman Shannon Kelly said. “Cramming information in one day is going to be very hard.”

She adds that having less time to study will cause more anxiety, even if it means longer breaks.

Others students like junior Bernard Turi, however, are not worried about the study time.

“I don’t read during reading days, and now my Thanksgiving break is longer,” he said.

For Turi, the difficulty of finding airplane ticket to visit his family and friends for Thanksgiving break is a major concern that he hopes will be lessened by the longer breaks.

As of now, the calendar changes will stay the same for future fall semesters. The dates for the spring semester have not changed, according to the academic calendar posted on the registrar’s website.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For academic calendars visit miami.edu/index.php/registrar/calendar.

Cristina Londono

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...