News Briefs 9/12

9/11 VIGIL

A Sept. 11 Remembrance Memorial was held on Wednesday. The evening included guest speakers, poets, and the acapella group BisCaydence singing the “National Anthem” and “God Bless America” with the colors presented by the Army ROTC Honor Guard.

IBIS RIDE

PIER 21 will provide free pizza and drinks from 9 to 11 p.m. Thursday at Stanford Circle for the kick-off of the Ibis Ride service, which operates from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Thursday and Friday nights. Students board at Stanford Circle with a Cane Card and are dropped off at CocoWalk in Coconut Grove.

FLU SHOT

Flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and will be available at off-site locations such as Stanford/Hecht, Mahoney/Pearson, the university green, and the RSMAS library. To see the exact dates and locations, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_health_center/flu_season/.  Schedule an appointment online at mystudenthealth.miami.edu.

READING SERIES

As part of the “IBIS Literary Reading Series: Three Poets, One Night,” new poetry faculty  member Jaswinder Bolina, alumnus Neil de la Flor and visiting poet Oliver de la Paz will be performing at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the CAS Gallery at Wesley House on the Coral Gables campus. The event is free and open to the public.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...