News Briefs 9/12

9/11 VIGIL

A Sept. 11 Remembrance Memorial was held on Wednesday. The evening included guest speakers, poets, and the acapella group BisCaydence singing the “National Anthem” and “God Bless America” with the colors presented by the Army ROTC Honor Guard.

IBIS RIDE

PIER 21 will provide free pizza and drinks from 9 to 11 p.m. Thursday at Stanford Circle for the kick-off of the Ibis Ride service, which operates from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Thursday and Friday nights. Students board at Stanford Circle with a Cane Card and are dropped off at CocoWalk in Coconut Grove.

FLU SHOT

Flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and will be available at off-site locations such as Stanford/Hecht, Mahoney/Pearson, the university green, and the RSMAS library. To see the exact dates and locations, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_health_center/flu_season/.  Schedule an appointment online at mystudenthealth.miami.edu.

READING SERIES

As part of the “IBIS Literary Reading Series: Three Poets, One Night,” new poetry faculty  member Jaswinder Bolina, alumnus Neil de la Flor and visiting poet Oliver de la Paz will be performing at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the CAS Gallery at Wesley House on the Coral Gables campus. The event is free and open to the public.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...