Campus Life, News

Ling inspires students to take action, change the world

Lisa Ling, journalist and host of Our America on The Oprah Winfrey Network, spoke at Monday's University of Miami Fall Convocation. Ling recounted controversial stories from her travels around the world, including trips to Afghanistan, China, and North Korea. She spoke on topics such as sex trafficking, gender transformation, imprisonment, drugs, and faith. Ling concluded the Convocation by encouraging students to take the time to travel and open their eyes to the world.  Torie O'Neil // Contributing Photographer

Lisa Ling, journalist and host of Our America on The Oprah Winfrey Network, spoke at Monday’s University of Miami Fall Convocation. Ling recounted controversial stories from her travels around the world, including trips to Afghanistan, China, and North Korea. She spoke on topics such as sex trafficking, gender transformation, imprisonment, drugs, and faith. Ling concluded the Convocation by encouraging students to take the time to travel and open their eyes to the world.
Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Students, faculty and community members took their seats in the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse Monday to hear from acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling.

Ling came to UM as part of Fall Convocation, in a speech entitled, “Open Heart, Open Mind.”

She shared stories of her encounters with people of different cultures and backgrounds, all the while connecting them to her belief that travel changes perspectives.

“Travel … changes your life and provokes you to have more of an open mind,” Ling said. “Ultimately, I think that the opportunity to travel and be in the world was the best education I ever got.”

Although the speech was full of serious commentary on her experiences reporting sex trafficking, incarceration, transgender issues and the like, Ling had a lighthearted moment at the start in which she assured the audience that she has never been in a “Charlie’s Angels” movie, referencing her resemblance to movie star Lucy Liu.

While students have been able to hear advice from politicians, past presidents and journalists alike, Ling brought a perspective many haven’t considered.

“Since our school has such a tradition of diversity, it was awesome to hear from someone who has gotten to know so many people across the world,” freshman Kendal Peppito said. “She brought it together about being accepting and open-minded.”

But her message extended to those across all ages.

“Lisa shares her personal experiences. When she tells a story about what she’s seen, she shares her personal thoughts and how that experience has affected her,” junior Karishma Gupta said.

After the hour-long speech, students left feeling inspired and challenged to raise awareness and take action about the injustices Ling has reported on.

Senior broadcast journalism major Kamrel Eppinger said the experience with Ling challenged him to think and make a difference in the world.

Ling is best known for her work on “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” but has a career rich with international and investigative reporting in places such as Colombia, North Korea, India and Uganda.

Ling began her career while attending the University of Southern California, yet she attributes her success to travel.

“I not only became a smarter person, but I became a better person, and ultimately, I became a more marketable person,” she said.

Jordan Schuman

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...