Campus Life, News

Ibis Ride Kick-Off celebrates free, safe ride to the Grove

The Ibis Ride Shuttle that takes students to and from Coconut Grove had a kick-off celebration Thursday night.

The event, hosted by Pier 21, took place at Stanford Circle — the pick-up location for the shuttles — and offered free pizza and drinks to students as they left to the Grove.

Student Government Press Secretary Adam Orshan advocated the shuttle’s goal to facilitate transportation for students.

“The Ibis ride in general is a free and safe shuttle for students to take to Coconut Grove and back,” he said. “So the purpose of tonight, this is the first night it runs, that’s why it’s the Ibis Ride Kick-Off, is we want to make sure students are aware that they have the option to take the Ibis Ride to the Grove. It is safe. It is free. You’re not driving or anything else like that.”

Many freshmen like Alan Li who are not allowed to have cars on campus took advantage of the shuttles.

He chose to ride the shuttle because of safety reasons, but he considered costs to be the most important factor. He finds that Ibis Ride is an alternative to paying for a taxi.

“Taking a cab is safe too, that’s what we used to do, but the [Ibis Ride] is free so it’s way more convenient,” he said. “We’re college kids, we can’t pay $20 every Thursday. That adds up.”

Freshman Iliana Blasdell was also concerned about costs and safety. She finds that the Ibis Ride offers the safest option for students heading to the Grove.

“I think it’s definitely better, just because it goes through the school and for costs purposes too,” she said. “It gets really expensive, so it’s nice to just to have that option.”

Students must show their Cane Cards to ride the shuttles. Ibis Ride runs Thursday and Friday nights from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.

Emily Dabau

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...