Campus Life, News

Hillel connects students during High Holidays

Yamim Noraim, the Days of Awe, has arrived for Jewish students on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus.

Many who are observing the High Holidays are coming together as a community and family at UM’s Hillel. The days of repentance began on Sept. 4 with Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and ends at sundown Saturday with Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement and the holiest time of the year.

“This is a time about complete introspection and forces us to do an accounting of our souls and actions from the past year and make amends, repair relationships and enable ourselves to fulfill our true potential,” said Robyn Fisher, the assistant director at Hillel for the past eight years.

Hillel has not only become a home to her, but to many Jewish students who find it a place of comfort.

During the High Holidays, the number of people attending services at Hillel tends to skyrocket, especially the out-of-state students with no family in Miami. This year’s Rosh Hashanah services drew more than 200 guests for services and dinner. The turnout left the Hillel staff excited and anticipating an even greater number for Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown Friday.

“Rosh Hashanah fell during the middle of the week, leaving students with classes they weren’t able to miss or get out of,” Fisher said. “With Kol Nidre for Yom Kippur falling on Friday, students have no excuse of not going to class, so I expect the turnout to be much greater.”

Fisher, who is also studying to be a rabbi, finds joy in expressing and sharing her Jewish knowledge with others. At Rosh Hashanah services, Fisher produced breakout sessions and sermons where she spoke of destiny. This encouraged those who attended to observe their own potential and ability to be true to themselves.

“After one time at Hillel, I’ve grown to love it,” said Emma Drooks, a sophomore who has no family in Miami. “I came to services just to observe the holiday, but I left feeling like I had a new family and home.”

Realizing that she now has a new place to call home on campus, Drooks is happily ready to go back to services this weekend and feels comfortable in doing so.

Kol Nidre services begin at 6:30 p.m. Friday. Yom Kippur services continue at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, followed by Yizkor and Neilah at 6 p.m. The period is marked by intensive prayer and fasting.

Right after Neilah will be breakfast Oneg. For the first time ever, a small charge of $12 was asked for the Rosh Hashanah dinner to help alleviate the expenses. Fisher said there will be no charge for Yom Kippur’s breakfast meal because staff would like for more people to stay after services.

Junior Cameron Brodeur has learned over the years to appreciate Hillel’s benefits, especially after attending Birthright in Israel through Hillel. Birthright is a free 10-day heritage trip to Israel for Jewish people between the ages of 18 and 26.

“Birthright changed my life, and so did Hillel,” Brodeur said. “They were there for me every step of the way and did everything possible to make sure I could get onto that trip. They are some of the most incredible people I have ever met.”

In addition to High Holiday services, Hillel puts on many other events throughout the year, giving students the ability to be involved with their faith year-round. With volunteer aspects such as Challah for Hunger or its annual fundraiser, Style Mitzvah, students can find something to be involved in or even just make friends by attending Shabbat services and complimentary dinner on Friday nights.

If You Go

What/When: Kol Nidre services will be held 6:30 p.m. Friday. Yom Kippur services will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Yizkor and Neilah will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Where: UM Hillel

Danielle Mashal

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...