UK should follow Miami’s hookup habits

MUG_LaylaHaidrani

Layla Haidrani

Miami – images of sun, sea and sex – right? When I arrived here as an exchange student two weeks ago, I was informed endlessly by those around me – from the shuttle bus driver to the locals – that “Miami is a singles town,” and “everything goes.” This attitude is the reason there exists an embedded hookup culture in Miami. From the Grove and South Beach to frat parties and tailgates, students in Miami have a range of places to go in search of their next hookup.

While I celebrate this, I can’t help but notice that this attitude is starkly different from universities in England, where I have been studying for the past two years. The hookup scene is relatively similar, but the antagonism fostered toward women in the United Kingdom who engage in casual sex is far worse. For university students in England, there is more of a stigma against those who engage in casual sex. A study by the The National Student, a publication for students in the U.K., revealed that half of students would lose respect for female undergraduates who frequently engaged in promiscuous behavior.

In Miami, however, it seems that women are encouraged to enjoy the sexual freedom of their male counterparts. Thus, it is no wonder that the University of Miami was featured in Unigo’s list of the “Top 10 Schools Where Everybody Gets Lucky.” That is not to say that sexually liberated women in Miami are exempt from slander. The word “ratchet” is thrown around by many male students at UM, as I observed at my first tailgate.

Hooking up is not the end-all, be-all of a college experience. Plenty of students have a fulfilling four years without the need to “hookup.” But there are lessons to be learned from UM students. Here, women are not restricted by societal expectations. They can have as much or as little sexual freedom as they desire without fear of disrepute. Slut-shaming and misogyny embedded in universities across the U.K. must come to an end. It’s time to celebrate women’s sexuality.

Layla Haidrani is a senior majoring in history.

Layla Haidrani

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...