UK should follow Miami’s hookup habits

MUG_LaylaHaidrani

Layla Haidrani

Miami – images of sun, sea and sex – right? When I arrived here as an exchange student two weeks ago, I was informed endlessly by those around me – from the shuttle bus driver to the locals – that “Miami is a singles town,” and “everything goes.” This attitude is the reason there exists an embedded hookup culture in Miami. From the Grove and South Beach to frat parties and tailgates, students in Miami have a range of places to go in search of their next hookup.

While I celebrate this, I can’t help but notice that this attitude is starkly different from universities in England, where I have been studying for the past two years. The hookup scene is relatively similar, but the antagonism fostered toward women in the United Kingdom who engage in casual sex is far worse. For university students in England, there is more of a stigma against those who engage in casual sex. A study by the The National Student, a publication for students in the U.K., revealed that half of students would lose respect for female undergraduates who frequently engaged in promiscuous behavior.

In Miami, however, it seems that women are encouraged to enjoy the sexual freedom of their male counterparts. Thus, it is no wonder that the University of Miami was featured in Unigo’s list of the “Top 10 Schools Where Everybody Gets Lucky.” That is not to say that sexually liberated women in Miami are exempt from slander. The word “ratchet” is thrown around by many male students at UM, as I observed at my first tailgate.

Hooking up is not the end-all, be-all of a college experience. Plenty of students have a fulfilling four years without the need to “hookup.” But there are lessons to be learned from UM students. Here, women are not restricted by societal expectations. They can have as much or as little sexual freedom as they desire without fear of disrepute. Slut-shaming and misogyny embedded in universities across the U.K. must come to an end. It’s time to celebrate women’s sexuality.

Layla Haidrani is a senior majoring in history.

Layla Haidrani

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...