Staff Editorial: Unfriending breaks up friendships

Friends come and go. At the outset of college, students move away from home and soon see high school friendships dissolve. Then, their group of floor mates from freshman year, once tight-knit, may slowly unravel.

College is a time for personal growth and self-exploration. We become more absorbed in our own lives and grow busier with classes, clubs and internships. That leaves little time for long text conversations or weekly Skype calls. It’s only natural for relationships to change.

But the age of social media has transformed the way we make, keep and lose friends.

With the click of a button, a person can “unfriend” another.  This has come to be the final say of a real-life friendship. But how does someone get to that point? Is it the right route to take?

Everyone has gone through a “friend divorce” at some point in their lives, for one reason or another. This can be caused by an argument that leads to “a tangle of awkward exchanges, made-up excuses, hurt feelings and lingering ill will,” as The New York Times explains it.

On one hand, a person may end the friendship but continue to interact with them online. On the other, someone may choose to click “unfriend” but, once the anger has died down, will act like nothing has changed the next time you cross paths.

While the aforementioned options may not be the best way to end a friendship, the decision to “unfriend” someone seems unnecessary. It may be trivial to take “unfriending” so personally, but social media has become so pervasive that “unfriending” seems like a harsh measure.

New York Magazine editor Maureen O’Connor, in a column she wrote titled “All My Exes Live in Texts,” pondered the question of why the social media generation never really breaks up. Her article went viral. It’s almost impossible these days to completely lose touch with an ex or to avoid knowing what they’re doing. The same applies to former friends.

Because of social media, “friend divorces” aren’t as simple as one would hope. Dozens of photos and old memories will still be there, and their online presence is not erased. You may notice the ex-friend become available on Google chat, or another person might retweet the ex-friend on Twitter.

If you’re going to remain friends or followers, be courteous in person as well. Liking their photos is easy. A real greeting matters more than 20 likes.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...