Staff Editorial: Unfriending breaks up friendships

Friends come and go. At the outset of college, students move away from home and soon see high school friendships dissolve. Then, their group of floor mates from freshman year, once tight-knit, may slowly unravel.

College is a time for personal growth and self-exploration. We become more absorbed in our own lives and grow busier with classes, clubs and internships. That leaves little time for long text conversations or weekly Skype calls. It’s only natural for relationships to change.

But the age of social media has transformed the way we make, keep and lose friends.

With the click of a button, a person can “unfriend” another.  This has come to be the final say of a real-life friendship. But how does someone get to that point? Is it the right route to take?

Everyone has gone through a “friend divorce” at some point in their lives, for one reason or another. This can be caused by an argument that leads to “a tangle of awkward exchanges, made-up excuses, hurt feelings and lingering ill will,” as The New York Times explains it.

On one hand, a person may end the friendship but continue to interact with them online. On the other, someone may choose to click “unfriend” but, once the anger has died down, will act like nothing has changed the next time you cross paths.

While the aforementioned options may not be the best way to end a friendship, the decision to “unfriend” someone seems unnecessary. It may be trivial to take “unfriending” so personally, but social media has become so pervasive that “unfriending” seems like a harsh measure.

New York Magazine editor Maureen O’Connor, in a column she wrote titled “All My Exes Live in Texts,” pondered the question of why the social media generation never really breaks up. Her article went viral. It’s almost impossible these days to completely lose touch with an ex or to avoid knowing what they’re doing. The same applies to former friends.

Because of social media, “friend divorces” aren’t as simple as one would hope. Dozens of photos and old memories will still be there, and their online presence is not erased. You may notice the ex-friend become available on Google chat, or another person might retweet the ex-friend on Twitter.

If you’re going to remain friends or followers, be courteous in person as well. Liking their photos is easy. A real greeting matters more than 20 likes.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...