Edge, Music, Reviews

‘Its Only Change’ impresses with eclectic mix of genres

Quincy Mumford and the Reason Why released their latest album, “Its Only Change,” this summer, advertising it as a mixture of jazz, blues, soul, rock, funk, hip-hop and more. It seems impossible that one CD could contain such a variety of sounds – until you sit and listen.

Mumford has a folksy voice, like an edgier John Mayer, with a blues quality that makes some of his songs reminiscent of  modern folk artists such as Eric Hutchinson. However, the diversity present in each song gives it a distinct quality, making it a striking piece of musical fusion.

The album opens on a (literal) high note with “Change,” which starts out sounding like a folk-rock song, but quickly transitions into a mellow, almost reggae style, as Mumford urges his audience, “don’t be afraid, here comes a change.”

Throughout the CD, it seems that the band favors simpler lyrics such as these. This can be problematic when they err towards cliches, as with the track “Eventually,” which refers to “white picket fences” and states, “I know this life can all be fun and games.”

However, the sound remains strong with the album’s second track, “For You.” The song opens with the blues-y sound of background singers chanting “woah, for you,” instantly hypnotizing listeners.  It may throw some people off when the song switches back to a reggae beat, but the band pulls off the conversion well.

Certain tracks have a slightly edgier vibe, such as the third song “Under the Covers,” as well as the song, “No Love.” “Under the Covers” has more of an old-school jazz feel, with the introduction of brass instrumentals and a rolling beat. Mumford’s voice has a slick, sensual dimension as he tries to tempt a girl to come to bed with him.

For an even sharper breakaway from the mellowness of other tracks, there’s “No Love,” which has an edgy beat and soft vocals that bite with each scathing verse.

Another standout track is “Time Won’t Wait,” which starts soft before a few quick guitar chords speed up the tempo and add an optimistic feel. Near the end, there is a fast-paced spoken verse that will startle listeners who have relaxed into the sound of Mumford’s mellow vocals.

The most impressive aspect of “It’s Only Change” is how quickly the band transitions between genres within each track. The album has everything from electronic mix to brassy instrumentals to keening vocals, ensuring that it will not grow stale after the first listen.

Though the lyrics sometimes lack imagination, the sound quality stands out as a distinctive blend that is perfect for listeners who want to break away from standard sounds.

mumford

Marlee Lisker

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...