Campus Life, News, Student Organization

UProv takes center stage with new members

Students get to know each other and warm-up for UProv and QuantUM's production auditions by playing a name memorization game in the Student Activities center on Monday September 2nd. Hallee Meltzer // Contributing Photographer

Students warm up for UProv and QuantUM’s production auditions by playing a name memorization game in the Student Activities Center on Sept. 2.
Hallee Meltzer // Contributing Photographer

While many students spent their Saturdays at the football game, some others chose to practice their improv skills.

The University of Miami’s improv comedy team, UProv, recruited new members during Labor Day weekend and had the semester’s first rehearsal on Saturday.

In improv comedy, performances are made up on the spot rather than scripted or fully rehearsed. Actors learn techniques that train them to think of ideas spontaneously.

“UProv’s first rehearsal was focused on integrating the new members and learning the basics for successful improv comedy. The fundamentals include teamwork, trust and opening up to team members,” said Tim Whelan, the team’s coach.“We’re so excited to see fresh faces and new people with so many creative ideas,” he said.

The first few rehearsals will focus on establishing this open atmosphere. Later rehearsals will train team members on essential improv skills such as reacting on instinct, character development and storytelling.

“Since our first performance is so soon, we’re hoping to prepare a few games that include the audience just so people see how fun improv can be,” Whelan said.

UProv’s first performance will be held on Sept. 20 during Poetry Slam. The location has not yet been decided.

Auditions took place on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. Whelan led the auditions with help from all seven current team members.

There were nine students who showed up to the auditions, a larger group than Whelan expected. The verdict on who would be invited to join was a team decision.

“Somehow we have to narrow all these people down to one, two or three people,” said Trent Seale, a UProv member.

The newest members of the team are Leo Thorp, Ryan Rebagay and Tim Kohn.

Improv comedy is not just about being funny. Whelan used various drama exercises that were designed to keep participants involved.

“We want to see how well you work as a team,” he said. “When you’re on stage, you can’t discuss what you’re thinking. You have to trust your team members.”

No experience was necessary to audition. Students like junior Leo Thorp saw the auditions as an opportunity for a musical composition major to gain a skill.

“I am here to explore the outer reaches of my comfort zone,” he said. “This could apply to other areas like jazz because you have to improvise a lot.”

After about an hour of auditions, the laughter in the room subsided as students left to attend a barbecue, leaving the current team members to deliberate.

UProv, the selected name for the improv team, was founded last spring. Whelan wanted to establish a student organization after he noticed that there was an interest to perform improv comedy.

“We got a lot of really positive feedback right away,” he said.

There were nine original cast members, and the team started performing after two weeks of practice.

Last semester, the team performed at two on-campus events. Whelan hopes to organize at least five performances this semester.

Since he is graduating this year, Whelan said he is very excited to have a full year to work with the team.

“My main priority is to make sure there is a legacy left behind when I graduate,” he said.

IF YOU GO

What: UProv’s first performance at Poetry Slam 

Where: TBA

When: 8 p.m. Sept. 20

For more information, visit facebook.com/UProv or email Tim Whelan at t.whelan@umiami.edu.

Nicole Webster

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...