News, Student Government

SG works toward a year full of completed initiatives

sg-01

Two weeks into school, and Student Government (SG) already has a laundry list of completed initiatives meeting students’ requests from last year.

Completed initiatives include a redesign of Cane Cards, a smoke-free campus, a supply vending machine in Richter Library, outdoor seating at Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall, blocking off the seal outside the bookstore and Freshman Walk, an event similar to Senior Walk, but instead freshmen took a lap around Sun Life Stadium’s field at the first home game of the season against Florida Atlantic.

During the spring election, the Power of U administration’s main three platforms consisted of the Freshman Leadership Council (FLC), allCanes Radio being moved to the Rathskeller, and fostering opportunities for students to intern abroad.

The team consisting of President Bhumi Patel, Vice President Justin Borroto and Treasurer Robert Chiste was inaugurated in April. In those first few months, they successfully passed the FLC during one of the last Senate meetings of the year and began immediate implemention.

“People are excited about [FLC],” Borroto said. “The things that we set precedents for now are kind of how the shape of it is going to look in the future. Making sure that the foundation of that is really strong is going to be my biggest thing.”

According to SG press secretary Adam Orshan, no updates were available regarding the latter two initiatives as of Wednesday.

Other ongoing projects include free or subsidized metro passes for students needing to travel to other campuses, an outdoor fitness court and a solid design-a-course system.

With other changes being implemented all over campus, Borroto is excited that SG is attacking their list of initiatives.

“[We’re] capitalizing off of all the energy off of campus … and bottling that up and running with it,” he said. “For all of the big ticket items, we have a game plan for how it’s going to go down or a good concrete foundation so that we can see it come to fruition by the end of the year.”

Additionally, the Eco Agency, led by Kamal Daghastani, is working on their own list of tasks for the semester.

“Our main group projects are Lucid, an energy-monitoring dashboard … recycling bins on campus, and trying to get education of sea level rise as well as different alternative energies on campus,” he said.

The team is working with administration to place recycling bins with informative stickers in each classroom and residential college by Thanksgiving. They also hope to expand their solar power charging stations, currently located outside of Richter Library, to gliders around campus. Additionally they hope to coordinate with the greater community of Miami on the High Water Line Project to showcase the effects of sea-level rise on the Coral Gables campus in December.

“This is our second year in existence, and the first year went amazingly well,” Daghastani said. “There’s a new shift in perception of sustainability, and a lot of students are coming in now with a lot of great ideas.”

Jordan Coyne

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...