Saturday’s win brings fans to tears

MUG_StephParra

Stephanie Parra

I remember the day my acceptance letter arrived in the mail. I was too nervous to open the envelope, so I handed it to my younger brother so he could read it and tell me the news. I was in.

I’ll never forget how we reacted. We jumped up and down and giggled a la Patrick and Spongebob. But the giggles turned to happy tears. Fast-forward almost four years, and my brother and I are both enrolled at the University of Miami. For us, two first-generation college students, the school has introduced us to the ways and importance of following collegiate tradition.

I’m proud of my school. And I’m proud of what it’s accomplished since I first began college at UM in 2010. Since then, we’ve climbed the U.S. News rankings and become first in Florida. We built a multimillion-dollar structure other schools could only dream of, and we’ve stood tall throughout all the trouble with NCAA allegations.

Given all that pride, you won’t be surprised to hear that I shed tears again at the end of Saturday’s game against UF. As a freshman, I remember reporting for The Miami Hurricane about the rivals’ apple of discord, the War Canoe Trophy. I remember wondering what its fate would be after this year’s game. It’s ours for good. Not because we won, but because it’s already ours. And also because we won. Just kidding, it was going to stay ours anyway.

So, at the end of the game, while everyone sang about our southern sun and sky blue water, I stood there crying tears of joy. I got goosebumps while staring at the scoreboard and the smiles on faces of students around me. I couldn’t be prouder to be a Miami Hurricane.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...