Saturday’s win brings fans to tears

MUG_StephParra

Stephanie Parra

I remember the day my acceptance letter arrived in the mail. I was too nervous to open the envelope, so I handed it to my younger brother so he could read it and tell me the news. I was in.

I’ll never forget how we reacted. We jumped up and down and giggled a la Patrick and Spongebob. But the giggles turned to happy tears. Fast-forward almost four years, and my brother and I are both enrolled at the University of Miami. For us, two first-generation college students, the school has introduced us to the ways and importance of following collegiate tradition.

I’m proud of my school. And I’m proud of what it’s accomplished since I first began college at UM in 2010. Since then, we’ve climbed the U.S. News rankings and become first in Florida. We built a multimillion-dollar structure other schools could only dream of, and we’ve stood tall throughout all the trouble with NCAA allegations.

Given all that pride, you won’t be surprised to hear that I shed tears again at the end of Saturday’s game against UF. As a freshman, I remember reporting for The Miami Hurricane about the rivals’ apple of discord, the War Canoe Trophy. I remember wondering what its fate would be after this year’s game. It’s ours for good. Not because we won, but because it’s already ours. And also because we won. Just kidding, it was going to stay ours anyway.

So, at the end of the game, while everyone sang about our southern sun and sky blue water, I stood there crying tears of joy. I got goosebumps while staring at the scoreboard and the smiles on faces of students around me. I couldn’t be prouder to be a Miami Hurricane.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...