Saturday’s win brings fans to tears

MUG_StephParra

Stephanie Parra

I remember the day my acceptance letter arrived in the mail. I was too nervous to open the envelope, so I handed it to my younger brother so he could read it and tell me the news. I was in.

I’ll never forget how we reacted. We jumped up and down and giggled a la Patrick and Spongebob. But the giggles turned to happy tears. Fast-forward almost four years, and my brother and I are both enrolled at the University of Miami. For us, two first-generation college students, the school has introduced us to the ways and importance of following collegiate tradition.

I’m proud of my school. And I’m proud of what it’s accomplished since I first began college at UM in 2010. Since then, we’ve climbed the U.S. News rankings and become first in Florida. We built a multimillion-dollar structure other schools could only dream of, and we’ve stood tall throughout all the trouble with NCAA allegations.

Given all that pride, you won’t be surprised to hear that I shed tears again at the end of Saturday’s game against UF. As a freshman, I remember reporting for The Miami Hurricane about the rivals’ apple of discord, the War Canoe Trophy. I remember wondering what its fate would be after this year’s game. It’s ours for good. Not because we won, but because it’s already ours. And also because we won. Just kidding, it was going to stay ours anyway.

So, at the end of the game, while everyone sang about our southern sun and sky blue water, I stood there crying tears of joy. I got goosebumps while staring at the scoreboard and the smiles on faces of students around me. I couldn’t be prouder to be a Miami Hurricane.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...