Campus Life, News

My Scholarship Profile provides more aid options

Before the start of the semester, students received an email notification from the Office of Financial Assistant Services (OFAS) unveiling “My Scholarship Profile.”

The system aims to compile additional information that students do not already provide on similar financial forms, like FAFSA, to receive financial aid at UM.

“We didn’t have anything in our system that houses information beyond those applications,” said Joanne Brown, the associate director of financial aid. “This allows us to pick up those other qualities, so that when we receive donor scholarships that provide certain criteria for students to qualify, we are better at finding those student populations.”

The new feature, which can be found on CaneLink, consists of a questionnaire to find out more about students’ involvements in campus organizations, religious affiliation and disabilities, among others.

Sophomore Te’Quan Taylor finds the addition of My Scholarship Profile a benefit for new students.

“I think it’s a great service for freshmen and incoming students, so that they can be more aware of scholarships available to them,” Taylor said.

However, some students like junior T’Jhana Lynn have not found the feature helpful. She filled out the questionnaire after she receiving email announcement.

“It honestly didn’t tell me much,” she said. “I wish there was more communication about it, maybe advising meetings to make it more personal.”

Students should take note that simply filling out the profile does not guarantee notification or reward of a scholarship. It’s just a way for OFAS to compile characteristics about students in order to make it easier to identify students who qualify for certain scholarships.

My Scholarship Profile is also only available to degree-seeking undergraduate students.

The database will remain open for students until Oct. 1. When advisers receive donor funds with specific requirements, the OFAS will identify students that fulfill the donors’ criteria and eventually select a student.

“It will enhance the process of how we make use of our donor funds and help students,” Brown said.

Ashley McBride

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...