Campus Life, News

My Scholarship Profile provides more aid options

Before the start of the semester, students received an email notification from the Office of Financial Assistant Services (OFAS) unveiling “My Scholarship Profile.”

The system aims to compile additional information that students do not already provide on similar financial forms, like FAFSA, to receive financial aid at UM.

“We didn’t have anything in our system that houses information beyond those applications,” said Joanne Brown, the associate director of financial aid. “This allows us to pick up those other qualities, so that when we receive donor scholarships that provide certain criteria for students to qualify, we are better at finding those student populations.”

The new feature, which can be found on CaneLink, consists of a questionnaire to find out more about students’ involvements in campus organizations, religious affiliation and disabilities, among others.

Sophomore Te’Quan Taylor finds the addition of My Scholarship Profile a benefit for new students.

“I think it’s a great service for freshmen and incoming students, so that they can be more aware of scholarships available to them,” Taylor said.

However, some students like junior T’Jhana Lynn have not found the feature helpful. She filled out the questionnaire after she receiving email announcement.

“It honestly didn’t tell me much,” she said. “I wish there was more communication about it, maybe advising meetings to make it more personal.”

Students should take note that simply filling out the profile does not guarantee notification or reward of a scholarship. It’s just a way for OFAS to compile characteristics about students in order to make it easier to identify students who qualify for certain scholarships.

My Scholarship Profile is also only available to degree-seeking undergraduate students.

The database will remain open for students until Oct. 1. When advisers receive donor funds with specific requirements, the OFAS will identify students that fulfill the donors’ criteria and eventually select a student.

“It will enhance the process of how we make use of our donor funds and help students,” Brown said.

Ashley McBride

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...