Syria needs an intervention

MUG_FareedRifai

Rifai

Syria is a part of me. It is my heritage, my identity and, most importantly, a place I used to call home. My family and I would visit Aleppo every summer. There, I met all of my relatives, learned to speak Arabic and gained a perspective of the world across the Atlantic.

However, I always knew that there was a reason we lived here in the United States, not Syria. The U.S. promised a better life, but there was more to it than that. I learned from my parents that being a Syrian citizen for the latter half of the 20th century meant you weren’t free. You were subject to the whims of a government that wanted your allegiance and loyalty to former Syrian President Hafez al-Assad’s cult of personality.

Thousands “disappeared” just because they were even associated to someone who opposed the regime. Some fled the country and sought political asylum. Most were killed or tortured in unimaginable ways. Over the past two years, things have spiraled into chaos.

Back in March 2011, a demonstration in opposition to the government began as a way to seek reform. Since then, more than 100,000 people have been killed; 4 million people have been displaced from their homes; and almost 2 million are now refugees in other countries.

Last March, I volunteered and visited a refugee camp on the border between Syria and Turkey. To my surprise, I didn’t see Syrians who had lost all hope. I saw people who still had faith in a future for Syria. They knew that the regime would stop at nothing to silence opposition. The Assad forces and shabbiha – gangs of young thugs unofficially working for the Assad family – would commit genocide and leave the country in ruins if need be.

Two weeks ago, the first widely reported chemical weapons attack on a Damascus suburb sparked global discussion. President Obama stated in August 2012 that use of chemical weapons would be a “red line” for the regime, and crossing it would prompt a military response. Not backing up this claim would essentially give the regime free reign to continue terrorizing the Syrian people.

The U.S. has the capability and military intelligence to coordinate an intervention without even deploying foot soldiers on the ground. As a global hegemon, our country has a moral obligation to step in and lead the international community in deposing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and establishing a provisional government in conjunction with the Syrian National Coalition.

Regardless of the factions under the umbrella known as the Free Syrian Army, something must be done now, or there will be no Syria left to save.

Fareed Rifai is a junior majoring in biochemistry.

Fareed Rifai

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...