Soccer, Sports

Middleton’s goal in double OT rescues Canes

It took extra time for the second consecutive game, but the Miami women’s soccer team moved to 3-0 on the season with a road win over UW-Milwaukee at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday.

One week after winning at Jacksonville, 3-2 in overtime, Miami defeated the Panthers 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Betsy Middleton gave the Hurricanes the win over UW-Milwaukee (0-4) in the 105th minute. It was her first career goal.

“It feels unbelievable,” Middleton said. “I knew that I needed to do something as the only replacement on the field in double overtime. It was just a surreal moment.”

Miami struck with the first goal of the match in the closing minutes of the first half. Senior defender Tara Schwitter scored on a chip shot in the 43rd minute off an assist from fellow senior Blake Stockton. Junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard was in net for the first half, but was replaced by freshman Catalina Perez for the remainder of the contest. Perez, a Boca Raton native, had four saves and allowed Milwaukee’s lone goal.

The Hurricanes will take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m. Friday at Cobb Stadium. The Vikings are 2-2 this season and have lost their last two games, each by a score of 1-0. Sophomore forward Vickie Havas has been a key member of the CSU attack, leading the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (six).

Miami’s game against Cleveland State will be its final non-conference home game of the 2013 season. After playing the Vikings, the Canes hit the road to play Florida Atlantic on Sunday before kicking off ACC play at Duke next week.

Alex Schwartz

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...