Soccer, Sports

Middleton’s goal in double OT rescues Canes

It took extra time for the second consecutive game, but the Miami women’s soccer team moved to 3-0 on the season with a road win over UW-Milwaukee at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday.

One week after winning at Jacksonville, 3-2 in overtime, Miami defeated the Panthers 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Betsy Middleton gave the Hurricanes the win over UW-Milwaukee (0-4) in the 105th minute. It was her first career goal.

“It feels unbelievable,” Middleton said. “I knew that I needed to do something as the only replacement on the field in double overtime. It was just a surreal moment.”

Miami struck with the first goal of the match in the closing minutes of the first half. Senior defender Tara Schwitter scored on a chip shot in the 43rd minute off an assist from fellow senior Blake Stockton. Junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard was in net for the first half, but was replaced by freshman Catalina Perez for the remainder of the contest. Perez, a Boca Raton native, had four saves and allowed Milwaukee’s lone goal.

The Hurricanes will take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m. Friday at Cobb Stadium. The Vikings are 2-2 this season and have lost their last two games, each by a score of 1-0. Sophomore forward Vickie Havas has been a key member of the CSU attack, leading the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (six).

Miami’s game against Cleveland State will be its final non-conference home game of the 2013 season. After playing the Vikings, the Canes hit the road to play Florida Atlantic on Sunday before kicking off ACC play at Duke next week.

Alex Schwartz

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...