Soccer, Sports

Middleton’s goal in double OT rescues Canes

It took extra time for the second consecutive game, but the Miami women’s soccer team moved to 3-0 on the season with a road win over UW-Milwaukee at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday.

One week after winning at Jacksonville, 3-2 in overtime, Miami defeated the Panthers 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Betsy Middleton gave the Hurricanes the win over UW-Milwaukee (0-4) in the 105th minute. It was her first career goal.

“It feels unbelievable,” Middleton said. “I knew that I needed to do something as the only replacement on the field in double overtime. It was just a surreal moment.”

Miami struck with the first goal of the match in the closing minutes of the first half. Senior defender Tara Schwitter scored on a chip shot in the 43rd minute off an assist from fellow senior Blake Stockton. Junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard was in net for the first half, but was replaced by freshman Catalina Perez for the remainder of the contest. Perez, a Boca Raton native, had four saves and allowed Milwaukee’s lone goal.

The Hurricanes will take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m. Friday at Cobb Stadium. The Vikings are 2-2 this season and have lost their last two games, each by a score of 1-0. Sophomore forward Vickie Havas has been a key member of the CSU attack, leading the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (six).

Miami’s game against Cleveland State will be its final non-conference home game of the 2013 season. After playing the Vikings, the Canes hit the road to play Florida Atlantic on Sunday before kicking off ACC play at Duke next week.

Alex Schwartz

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...