Soccer, Sports

Middleton’s goal in double OT rescues Canes

It took extra time for the second consecutive game, but the Miami women’s soccer team moved to 3-0 on the season with a road win over UW-Milwaukee at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday.

One week after winning at Jacksonville, 3-2 in overtime, Miami defeated the Panthers 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Betsy Middleton gave the Hurricanes the win over UW-Milwaukee (0-4) in the 105th minute. It was her first career goal.

“It feels unbelievable,” Middleton said. “I knew that I needed to do something as the only replacement on the field in double overtime. It was just a surreal moment.”

Miami struck with the first goal of the match in the closing minutes of the first half. Senior defender Tara Schwitter scored on a chip shot in the 43rd minute off an assist from fellow senior Blake Stockton. Junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard was in net for the first half, but was replaced by freshman Catalina Perez for the remainder of the contest. Perez, a Boca Raton native, had four saves and allowed Milwaukee’s lone goal.

The Hurricanes will take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m. Friday at Cobb Stadium. The Vikings are 2-2 this season and have lost their last two games, each by a score of 1-0. Sophomore forward Vickie Havas has been a key member of the CSU attack, leading the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (six).

Miami’s game against Cleveland State will be its final non-conference home game of the 2013 season. After playing the Vikings, the Canes hit the road to play Florida Atlantic on Sunday before kicking off ACC play at Duke next week.

Alex Schwartz

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...