Fair wages should follow high ideals

Schwind

Schwind

It takes $12.23 an hour to lead a dignified life in Miami, according to Miami-Dade County’s official Living Wage. But the food service workers at our university make wages as low as $9.30. Many rely on public benefits to cover basic needs and still struggle to make ends meet.

Chartwells workers on campus fought last year for the right to negotiate a fair contract with their employer and to be represented by a union. They won, but Chartwells has offered such low yearly pay increases that they barely offset inflation. The offer would put workers below the poverty line for years to come. Thus, workers have decided to go on strike if Chartwells doesn’t improve its offer.

Even though the University of Miami controls the contract with Chartwells, UM has publicly denied any responsibility for fixing the situation. It would, however, be naive to believe that UM has no control over how much the workers on our campus are being paid. In 2006, UM set minimum wages for all employers on campus and promised to review those numbers on a yearly basis.

Our university has the moral responsibility to ensure that everybody who works for this community earns the means to lead a dignified life. UM is a proud institution of higher learning and needs to be held to the same high moral standards that are expected from students, faculty members and employees. So how is it not hypocritical to celebrate the luxurious $46 million student center while turning a blind eye on those who serve us daily?

The fact that our university saves money by paying workers starvation wages is a scandal. UM administrators might be able to keep the contract with Chartwells cheap by officially remaining neutral, but this means poverty for more than 300 members of the UM community.

In 2006, a similar situation escalated into a major campuswide strike. Nobody wants to see a repeat of those events, but chances are this will happen again. It’s in President Shalala’s hands to avoid another escalation by making sure workers make living wages.

Philipp Schwind is a graduate student in philosophy.

Philipp Schwind

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...