Campus Life, News

Canes care for the community at Orientation Outreach

More than 200 freshmen spent part of their Labor Day weekend helping the community.

They participated in Orientation Outreach, the first of the University’s seven service days. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership organized this effort with first-year students in mind, but welcomed all students to join.

The outreach offered students the opportunity to volunteer alongside classmates, friends and upperclassmen site leaders at different organizations in Miami. The outreach is usually held the Saturday after the first week of classes.

This year, students visited sites at the Miami River Commission (MRC), the Tropical Audubon Society and the Everglades National Park.

Roommates Lauren Dupree and Madelyn Paquette spent their day volunteering at the MRC. Their duties included painting over graffiti, cleaning up the walkway of the river, picking up trash and beautifying the urban location.

“It was a great bonding experience,” Paquette said.

Dupree felt that the experience was inspirational and an opportunity to get off campus and see other areas of Miami.

“For high school, you’re volunteering for service hours, but in college you do it because you want to, so it changes your perspective,” she said.

Freshman Josh Myers volunteered at the Audubon Society and assisted with the improvement of the nature conservatory. He enjoyed being able to practice teamwork skills with other students working on the project and people who normally maintain the environment.

“Despite a long, hot day of hard work, Orientation Outreach managed to be the most rewarding community service experience I’ve ever had,” he said.

He wants to continue building leadership skills and is very interested in volunteering through other programs offered by the Butler Center.

For more information on service days, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu or call 305-284-4483.

Emily Dabau

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...