Campus Life, News

Canes care for the community at Orientation Outreach

More than 200 freshmen spent part of their Labor Day weekend helping the community.

They participated in Orientation Outreach, the first of the University’s seven service days. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership organized this effort with first-year students in mind, but welcomed all students to join.

The outreach offered students the opportunity to volunteer alongside classmates, friends and upperclassmen site leaders at different organizations in Miami. The outreach is usually held the Saturday after the first week of classes.

This year, students visited sites at the Miami River Commission (MRC), the Tropical Audubon Society and the Everglades National Park.

Roommates Lauren Dupree and Madelyn Paquette spent their day volunteering at the MRC. Their duties included painting over graffiti, cleaning up the walkway of the river, picking up trash and beautifying the urban location.

“It was a great bonding experience,” Paquette said.

Dupree felt that the experience was inspirational and an opportunity to get off campus and see other areas of Miami.

“For high school, you’re volunteering for service hours, but in college you do it because you want to, so it changes your perspective,” she said.

Freshman Josh Myers volunteered at the Audubon Society and assisted with the improvement of the nature conservatory. He enjoyed being able to practice teamwork skills with other students working on the project and people who normally maintain the environment.

“Despite a long, hot day of hard work, Orientation Outreach managed to be the most rewarding community service experience I’ve ever had,” he said.

He wants to continue building leadership skills and is very interested in volunteering through other programs offered by the Butler Center.

For more information on service days, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu or call 305-284-4483.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...