Campus Life, News

Canes care for the community at Orientation Outreach

More than 200 freshmen spent part of their Labor Day weekend helping the community.

They participated in Orientation Outreach, the first of the University’s seven service days. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership organized this effort with first-year students in mind, but welcomed all students to join.

The outreach offered students the opportunity to volunteer alongside classmates, friends and upperclassmen site leaders at different organizations in Miami. The outreach is usually held the Saturday after the first week of classes.

This year, students visited sites at the Miami River Commission (MRC), the Tropical Audubon Society and the Everglades National Park.

Roommates Lauren Dupree and Madelyn Paquette spent their day volunteering at the MRC. Their duties included painting over graffiti, cleaning up the walkway of the river, picking up trash and beautifying the urban location.

“It was a great bonding experience,” Paquette said.

Dupree felt that the experience was inspirational and an opportunity to get off campus and see other areas of Miami.

“For high school, you’re volunteering for service hours, but in college you do it because you want to, so it changes your perspective,” she said.

Freshman Josh Myers volunteered at the Audubon Society and assisted with the improvement of the nature conservatory. He enjoyed being able to practice teamwork skills with other students working on the project and people who normally maintain the environment.

“Despite a long, hot day of hard work, Orientation Outreach managed to be the most rewarding community service experience I’ve ever had,” he said.

He wants to continue building leadership skills and is very interested in volunteering through other programs offered by the Butler Center.

For more information on service days, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu or call 305-284-4483.

Emily Dabau

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...