Culture, Music

Zedd to bring clarity to the music scene with a performance in Miami Beach Friday

Eleven months ago, 24-year-old producer Zedd quietly released “Clarity” as the iTunes Single of the Week. Two months later, he’d be performing at Y100’s Jingle Ball – one of South Florida’s largest concerts of the year – energizing an audience of thousands, many of whom did not even know his name.

The fact that he was performing at Jingle Ball on only a small secondary stage was no predictor of his future success. Zedd has since made his way to Miami several times, for performances at Ultra Music Festival and at local dance clubs, like Mansion. And “Clarity,” featuring Foxes (a London-based indie rock band formed in 2006) has been certified platinum in the U.S., with more than 1.2 million singles sold.

Although EDM is Zedd’s forte, his musical talent is wide-ranging. He’s producing Lady Gaga’s upcoming album ARTPOP. And believe it or not, he produced the JBiebs song “Beauty and a Beat,” too.

He’s not only an incredible music artist garnering international attention but also a Twitter addict – there’s nothing more fun than spending an hour reading his tweets with other famous DJs – and an all-around great guy. (Take the fact that he’s not afraid to call out scalpers for selling his affordable Moment of Clarity World Tour tickets for outrageous prices.)

Zedd will be performing at the Fillmore in Miami Beach Friday night. Expect electro music in a high energy atmosphere accentuated by Zedd’s characteristic vibrant green lights. It may be the night before Saturday’s anticipated UM-UF matchup, but this show is sure to be worth it. Stay up late – in fact, skip sleeping entirely – as you transition into your 5 a.m. tailgate with “Spectrum” ft. Matthew Koma still ringing in your ears.

Zedd took to Twitter late Monday night after a young Miami-based DJ pondered about Friday’s show: “At my shows it’s not about who you are or what you wear. It’s about enjoying a great concert together with other people.”

Luckily for all UM students, the general admission show at the Fillmore is all ages, which means the under-21 crowd on campus will finally have the chance to see the “German wunderkid” up close and personal. And with Zedd’s 24th birthday just four days behind him, his Miami show on Sept. 6 is sure to be a party to look forward to.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...