Edge, Music

Zedd to bring clarity to the music scene with a performance in Miami Beach Friday

Eleven months ago, 24-year-old producer Zedd quietly released “Clarity” as the iTunes Single of the Week. Two months later, he’d be performing at Y100’s Jingle Ball – one of South Florida’s largest concerts of the year – energizing an audience of thousands, many of whom did not even know his name.

The fact that he was performing at Jingle Ball on only a small secondary stage was no predictor of his future success. Zedd has since made his way to Miami several times, for performances at Ultra Music Festival and at local dance clubs, like Mansion. And “Clarity,” featuring Foxes (a London-based indie rock band formed in 2006) has been certified platinum in the U.S., with more than 1.2 million singles sold.

Although EDM is Zedd’s forte, his musical talent is wide-ranging. He’s producing Lady Gaga’s upcoming album ARTPOP. And believe it or not, he produced the JBiebs song “Beauty and a Beat,” too.

He’s not only an incredible music artist garnering international attention but also a Twitter addict – there’s nothing more fun than spending an hour reading his tweets with other famous DJs – and an all-around great guy. (Take the fact that he’s not afraid to call out scalpers for selling his affordable Moment of Clarity World Tour tickets for outrageous prices.)

Zedd will be performing at the Fillmore in Miami Beach Friday night. Expect electro music in a high energy atmosphere accentuated by Zedd’s characteristic vibrant green lights. It may be the night before Saturday’s anticipated UM-UF matchup, but this show is sure to be worth it. Stay up late – in fact, skip sleeping entirely – as you transition into your 5 a.m. tailgate with “Spectrum” ft. Matthew Koma still ringing in your ears.

Zedd took to Twitter late Monday night after a young Miami-based DJ pondered about Friday’s show: “At my shows it’s not about who you are or what you wear. It’s about enjoying a great concert together with other people.”

Luckily for all UM students, the general admission show at the Fillmore is all ages, which means the under-21 crowd on campus will finally have the chance to see the “German wunderkid” up close and personal. And with Zedd’s 24th birthday just four days behind him, his Miami show on Sept. 6 is sure to be a party to look forward to.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...