Edge, Music

Zedd to bring clarity to the music scene with a performance in Miami Beach Friday

Eleven months ago, 24-year-old producer Zedd quietly released “Clarity” as the iTunes Single of the Week. Two months later, he’d be performing at Y100’s Jingle Ball – one of South Florida’s largest concerts of the year – energizing an audience of thousands, many of whom did not even know his name.

The fact that he was performing at Jingle Ball on only a small secondary stage was no predictor of his future success. Zedd has since made his way to Miami several times, for performances at Ultra Music Festival and at local dance clubs, like Mansion. And “Clarity,” featuring Foxes (a London-based indie rock band formed in 2006) has been certified platinum in the U.S., with more than 1.2 million singles sold.

Although EDM is Zedd’s forte, his musical talent is wide-ranging. He’s producing Lady Gaga’s upcoming album ARTPOP. And believe it or not, he produced the JBiebs song “Beauty and a Beat,” too.

He’s not only an incredible music artist garnering international attention but also a Twitter addict – there’s nothing more fun than spending an hour reading his tweets with other famous DJs – and an all-around great guy. (Take the fact that he’s not afraid to call out scalpers for selling his affordable Moment of Clarity World Tour tickets for outrageous prices.)

Zedd will be performing at the Fillmore in Miami Beach Friday night. Expect electro music in a high energy atmosphere accentuated by Zedd’s characteristic vibrant green lights. It may be the night before Saturday’s anticipated UM-UF matchup, but this show is sure to be worth it. Stay up late – in fact, skip sleeping entirely – as you transition into your 5 a.m. tailgate with “Spectrum” ft. Matthew Koma still ringing in your ears.

Zedd took to Twitter late Monday night after a young Miami-based DJ pondered about Friday’s show: “At my shows it’s not about who you are or what you wear. It’s about enjoying a great concert together with other people.”

Luckily for all UM students, the general admission show at the Fillmore is all ages, which means the under-21 crowd on campus will finally have the chance to see the “German wunderkid” up close and personal. And with Zedd’s 24th birthday just four days behind him, his Miami show on Sept. 6 is sure to be a party to look forward to.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...