Edge, Music

Zedd to bring clarity to the music scene with a performance in Miami Beach Friday

Eleven months ago, 24-year-old producer Zedd quietly released “Clarity” as the iTunes Single of the Week. Two months later, he’d be performing at Y100’s Jingle Ball – one of South Florida’s largest concerts of the year – energizing an audience of thousands, many of whom did not even know his name.

The fact that he was performing at Jingle Ball on only a small secondary stage was no predictor of his future success. Zedd has since made his way to Miami several times, for performances at Ultra Music Festival and at local dance clubs, like Mansion. And “Clarity,” featuring Foxes (a London-based indie rock band formed in 2006) has been certified platinum in the U.S., with more than 1.2 million singles sold.

Although EDM is Zedd’s forte, his musical talent is wide-ranging. He’s producing Lady Gaga’s upcoming album ARTPOP. And believe it or not, he produced the JBiebs song “Beauty and a Beat,” too.

He’s not only an incredible music artist garnering international attention but also a Twitter addict – there’s nothing more fun than spending an hour reading his tweets with other famous DJs – and an all-around great guy. (Take the fact that he’s not afraid to call out scalpers for selling his affordable Moment of Clarity World Tour tickets for outrageous prices.)

Zedd will be performing at the Fillmore in Miami Beach Friday night. Expect electro music in a high energy atmosphere accentuated by Zedd’s characteristic vibrant green lights. It may be the night before Saturday’s anticipated UM-UF matchup, but this show is sure to be worth it. Stay up late – in fact, skip sleeping entirely – as you transition into your 5 a.m. tailgate with “Spectrum” ft. Matthew Koma still ringing in your ears.

Zedd took to Twitter late Monday night after a young Miami-based DJ pondered about Friday’s show: “At my shows it’s not about who you are or what you wear. It’s about enjoying a great concert together with other people.”

Luckily for all UM students, the general admission show at the Fillmore is all ages, which means the under-21 crowd on campus will finally have the chance to see the “German wunderkid” up close and personal. And with Zedd’s 24th birthday just four days behind him, his Miami show on Sept. 6 is sure to be a party to look forward to.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...