Football, Sports

Canes overpower Florida Atlantic in season opener

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night's season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium.  The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night’s season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium. The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson ran wild over the Florida Atlantic University Owls as the Canes posted a 34-6 win in their season opener.

The sophomore sensation had 186 yards on the ground, plus a 38-yard reception. Johnson also hurdled a defender and broke free on a 53- yard touchdown run.

50,151 fans created a lot of buzz inside Sun Life Stadium, mostly packed into the lower bowl where more than 7,700 students filed in.

It was Miami’s first meeting with the Owls, whose campus is located in Boca Raton.

“Give Florida Atlantic a lot of credit – they played hard and they made us earn it,” coach Al Golden said. “We were overzealous a little bit with some penalties early in the game. We dropped some passes that we hadn’t been dropping. Our timing wasn’t where it needed to be in some instances, but I thought our guys played hard.”

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris – inconsistent at times Friday night – threw for 160 yards and a touchdown, though freshman receiver Stacy Coley dropped two potential scores.

Morris, the veteran anchor of what promises to be a high-powered offense, was asked about his anticipation for next Saturday’s game against the University of Florida.

“Crazy. It’s going to be a crazy one and everyone knows that,” he said. “It’s a game we’ve been waiting on for four years. We haven’t played these guys in four years, and we know they’re bringing their best and we’re going to bring our best too.”

The Canes will have to improve in several key areas to get past the No. 10 Gators. Florida scored just 24 points in its opening win over Toledo, but gets two starters back from suspension.

Golden said Miami’s third-down offense can make the difference in the time of possession and field position battles. The Hurricanes were 4-for-14 in those situations against an Owls defense that surrendered 503 total yards.

The 1983 national champion Hurricanes were in attendance for a halftime ceremony honoring the 30-year anniversary of their Orange Bowl triumph. Coach Howard Schnellenberger proudly lifted Miami’s first crystal football alongside President Donna E. Shalala and more than 50 of his players.

Spencer Dandes

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...