News Briefs 8/29

Open Hearts, Open Mind

Acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling will be speaking at UM’s 2013 Fall Convocation on Monday, Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. at the Bank United Center. She will be presenting “Open Heart, Open Mind” and the event is free for students, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets can be requested at lisaling.eventbrite.com with the password lisaling2013. A ‘Cane Card is also required for entry.

Poets and Writers Welcome
The Creative Writing Program will be hosting the free event “Poet and Writers Welcome” on Friday, Aug. 30, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Visiting writer in fiction, R. Zamora Linmark, will be speaking as will Jaswinder Bolina, the newest member of the Creative Writing faculty in poetry.

Orientation Outreach
Orientation Outreach will be Saturday, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership will be introducing first-year students to volunteerism within the Miami community. Students will learn more about service opportunities and meet other students with similar interests.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...