News Briefs 8/29

Open Hearts, Open Mind

Acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling will be speaking at UM’s 2013 Fall Convocation on Monday, Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. at the Bank United Center. She will be presenting “Open Heart, Open Mind” and the event is free for students, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets can be requested at lisaling.eventbrite.com with the password lisaling2013. A ‘Cane Card is also required for entry.

Poets and Writers Welcome
The Creative Writing Program will be hosting the free event “Poet and Writers Welcome” on Friday, Aug. 30, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Visiting writer in fiction, R. Zamora Linmark, will be speaking as will Jaswinder Bolina, the newest member of the Creative Writing faculty in poetry.

Orientation Outreach
Orientation Outreach will be Saturday, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership will be introducing first-year students to volunteerism within the Miami community. Students will learn more about service opportunities and meet other students with similar interests.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...