News Briefs 8/29

Open Hearts, Open Mind

Acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling will be speaking at UM’s 2013 Fall Convocation on Monday, Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. at the Bank United Center. She will be presenting “Open Heart, Open Mind” and the event is free for students, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets can be requested at lisaling.eventbrite.com with the password lisaling2013. A ‘Cane Card is also required for entry.

Poets and Writers Welcome
The Creative Writing Program will be hosting the free event “Poet and Writers Welcome” on Friday, Aug. 30, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Visiting writer in fiction, R. Zamora Linmark, will be speaking as will Jaswinder Bolina, the newest member of the Creative Writing faculty in poetry.

Orientation Outreach
Orientation Outreach will be Saturday, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership will be introducing first-year students to volunteerism within the Miami community. Students will learn more about service opportunities and meet other students with similar interests.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...