Greek Life, News

Greek campus presence grows

This fall, UM’s Greek life is expanding as two new organizations take shape.

Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma are joining the University’s Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils, respectively.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the umbrella organization for the 14 fraternities at UM.

Likewise, the Panhellenic Council is the governing body of the eight sororities on campus.

Their main purpose is to strengthen relationships between chapters and keep open communication between the administration and Greek organizations.

The Kappa Sigma brothers have been working with their founding class since last spring and will advance to the rush process in both the fall and spring semesters of this school year.

The founding class was initiated Saturday night in the Newman Alumni Center.

There were more than 200 guests in attendance including brothers from chapters from universities around Florida.

“Everyone was very excited to become brothers and meet all the brothers from various other chapters that came to visit us,” Kappa Sigma President Brandon Rosenberg said.

The Chi Omega hopefuls will go through a similar process starting in September, when representatives from the national Chi Omega offices select a founding class of sisters to participate in a formal rush for the upcoming spring semester.

“Going through standard recruitment and starting an organization are very different.  Regular recruitment … is a fairly structured and scheduled process,” said Steve Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek life.

“When you are starting an organization, you are seeking out a very specific type of person … one who is truly looking to start something from the ground up,” he added.

The recruitment process for the new organizations will differ slightly from the traditional deferred recruitment process for existing fraternities and sororities.

The deferred recruitment process means that freshmen are not allowed to rush until their second semester at the university. However, unlike sororities, fraternities participate in fall rush for upperclassmen.

The addition of these new organizations indicates the growing Greek culture at the university.

Last spring, 497 women registered for rush.

Chi Omega Info Sessions:

1. Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 10 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
2. Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
3. Friday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m. in UC Ballroom C.
Fore more information email miami@chiomega.com

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...