Greek Life, News

Greek campus presence grows

This fall, UM’s Greek life is expanding as two new organizations take shape.

Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma are joining the University’s Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils, respectively.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the umbrella organization for the 14 fraternities at UM.

Likewise, the Panhellenic Council is the governing body of the eight sororities on campus.

Their main purpose is to strengthen relationships between chapters and keep open communication between the administration and Greek organizations.

The Kappa Sigma brothers have been working with their founding class since last spring and will advance to the rush process in both the fall and spring semesters of this school year.

The founding class was initiated Saturday night in the Newman Alumni Center.

There were more than 200 guests in attendance including brothers from chapters from universities around Florida.

“Everyone was very excited to become brothers and meet all the brothers from various other chapters that came to visit us,” Kappa Sigma President Brandon Rosenberg said.

The Chi Omega hopefuls will go through a similar process starting in September, when representatives from the national Chi Omega offices select a founding class of sisters to participate in a formal rush for the upcoming spring semester.

“Going through standard recruitment and starting an organization are very different.  Regular recruitment … is a fairly structured and scheduled process,” said Steve Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek life.

“When you are starting an organization, you are seeking out a very specific type of person … one who is truly looking to start something from the ground up,” he added.

The recruitment process for the new organizations will differ slightly from the traditional deferred recruitment process for existing fraternities and sororities.

The deferred recruitment process means that freshmen are not allowed to rush until their second semester at the university. However, unlike sororities, fraternities participate in fall rush for upperclassmen.

The addition of these new organizations indicates the growing Greek culture at the university.

Last spring, 497 women registered for rush.

Chi Omega Info Sessions:

1. Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 10 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
2. Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
3. Friday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m. in UC Ballroom C.
Fore more information email miami@chiomega.com

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...