Greek Life, News

Greek campus presence grows

This fall, UM’s Greek life is expanding as two new organizations take shape.

Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma are joining the University’s Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils, respectively.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the umbrella organization for the 14 fraternities at UM.

Likewise, the Panhellenic Council is the governing body of the eight sororities on campus.

Their main purpose is to strengthen relationships between chapters and keep open communication between the administration and Greek organizations.

The Kappa Sigma brothers have been working with their founding class since last spring and will advance to the rush process in both the fall and spring semesters of this school year.

The founding class was initiated Saturday night in the Newman Alumni Center.

There were more than 200 guests in attendance including brothers from chapters from universities around Florida.

“Everyone was very excited to become brothers and meet all the brothers from various other chapters that came to visit us,” Kappa Sigma President Brandon Rosenberg said.

The Chi Omega hopefuls will go through a similar process starting in September, when representatives from the national Chi Omega offices select a founding class of sisters to participate in a formal rush for the upcoming spring semester.

“Going through standard recruitment and starting an organization are very different.  Regular recruitment … is a fairly structured and scheduled process,” said Steve Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek life.

“When you are starting an organization, you are seeking out a very specific type of person … one who is truly looking to start something from the ground up,” he added.

The recruitment process for the new organizations will differ slightly from the traditional deferred recruitment process for existing fraternities and sororities.

The deferred recruitment process means that freshmen are not allowed to rush until their second semester at the university. However, unlike sororities, fraternities participate in fall rush for upperclassmen.

The addition of these new organizations indicates the growing Greek culture at the university.

Last spring, 497 women registered for rush.

Chi Omega Info Sessions:

1. Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 10 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
2. Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. in UC Ballroom D
3. Friday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m. in UC Ballroom C.
Fore more information email miami@chiomega.com

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...