We would rather not see Miley Cyrus again on the VMAs

Consider this an open letter to one Destiny Hope Cyrus:

Miley, we get it. You’re all grown up. Gone are the days of Hannah Montana and Mickey Mouse.

You no longer fraternize with Emily Osment, and instead of partying in the USA, you party in Amsterdam or somewhere else where salvia is legal.

I understand your desire to be respected as an adult and break away from the image of your former young self, but I assure you this is not the way to do it.

I have to admit that when “We Can’t Stop” came out, I actually couldn’t stop listening to it. It became this not-so-guilty pleasure and a constant repeat in my “G.N.O.” playlist.

I respected you for doing your own thing and, even though the music video freaked me out, I let it slide because maybe that’s just how you visualized your song. I had no idea this would turn into a permanent thing for you.

Maybe you’re just being Miley, but after your performance at the VMAs, enough is enough. Stop sticking your tongue out. It’s gross.

Do us all a favor – stop making yourself look like the Cynthia doll in “Rugrats.” It’s not a flattering look. You have such good bone structure, so why are you ruining it? Plus that hairdo is so ‘90s that it’s actually giving me flashbacks of Scary Spice (but not in a chic Victoria Beckham way).

And now you have a new song called “Twerk?” With Justin Bieber? Are you kidding me? Have some self-respect and lay low. We’re all still scarred from the VMAs performance, and we don’t even want to think about you “twerking.”

If you feel the need to be different, take some pointers from people who do it well, like Katy Perry.

P.S. Congratulations on getting what you wanted – at least now people are talking about you. I really wish CNN had better things to air.

Erika Glass is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...