Campus Life, News

Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall revamp receives mixed reviews

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.  Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.
Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

This summer, the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall received a major facelift including a complete remodel of the interior design.

The revamped dining hall offers students a more diverse seating arrangement, including an outdoor seating patio, along with food prepared in front of students.

“I think it looks really nice, and I like how it has a lot of open space,” sophomore Eric-Dillan Smith said.

However, Smith also mentioned that he wished there was more designated room for lines.

Mahoney-Pearson now accommodates those opting to use the to-go option in a separate area. In a corner when students first enter, they are able to select an entree, a side, a dessert and a beverage, which significantly shortens their visit.

“It actually saved me today because I was late for class, and I came in here hoping the lines weren’t ridiculous,” Smith said. “But they were like no you have to get take-out here, here’s five things, and then I got my food and made it to class.”

Although the new divided system is more time-efficient, some students, like freshman Catalina Perez, feel that it is not an adequate meal.

“I’m a freshman, so I don’t really know how it worked before, but I did expect that I could go to any station,” she said. “Now that I have less options, and the price is still the same, it’s a little frustrating.”

Many vegetarian or vegan students, like sophomore Poonam Patel, are frustrated with the even more limited options they have for both eat-in and take-out dining. Patel in particular would like to see the reinstatement of Terra Ve, the vegetarian specific station that has not been available since the dining hall’s opening.

“Whenever they’re making something with meat, they should make it without meat too,” she said, specifically citing a pasta dish with ham mixed in served  on Tuesday.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

DINNERPLATE_DININGHALL-01

Click to see larger.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

Student Government (SG) Press Secretary Adam Orshan said they are aware of some concerns with the new dining hall as students have written on their Facebook and their online suggestion box.

“Everybody loves how it looks, and the visual appeal has been overwhelmingly positive,” he said. “The only real complaints I’ve heard are about the vegetarian and vegan options in the take-out option.”

Orshan encourages students with comments to contact their respective senators, so SG can then in turn effectively communicate with Dining Services.

“We always want to communicate with students as many ways as we can,” he said.

Jordan Coyne

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...