Campus Life, News

Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall revamp receives mixed reviews

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.  Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.
Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

This summer, the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall received a major facelift including a complete remodel of the interior design.

The revamped dining hall offers students a more diverse seating arrangement, including an outdoor seating patio, along with food prepared in front of students.

“I think it looks really nice, and I like how it has a lot of open space,” sophomore Eric-Dillan Smith said.

However, Smith also mentioned that he wished there was more designated room for lines.

Mahoney-Pearson now accommodates those opting to use the to-go option in a separate area. In a corner when students first enter, they are able to select an entree, a side, a dessert and a beverage, which significantly shortens their visit.

“It actually saved me today because I was late for class, and I came in here hoping the lines weren’t ridiculous,” Smith said. “But they were like no you have to get take-out here, here’s five things, and then I got my food and made it to class.”

Although the new divided system is more time-efficient, some students, like freshman Catalina Perez, feel that it is not an adequate meal.

“I’m a freshman, so I don’t really know how it worked before, but I did expect that I could go to any station,” she said. “Now that I have less options, and the price is still the same, it’s a little frustrating.”

Many vegetarian or vegan students, like sophomore Poonam Patel, are frustrated with the even more limited options they have for both eat-in and take-out dining. Patel in particular would like to see the reinstatement of Terra Ve, the vegetarian specific station that has not been available since the dining hall’s opening.

“Whenever they’re making something with meat, they should make it without meat too,” she said, specifically citing a pasta dish with ham mixed in served  on Tuesday.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

DINNERPLATE_DININGHALL-01

Click to see larger.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

Student Government (SG) Press Secretary Adam Orshan said they are aware of some concerns with the new dining hall as students have written on their Facebook and their online suggestion box.

“Everybody loves how it looks, and the visual appeal has been overwhelmingly positive,” he said. “The only real complaints I’ve heard are about the vegetarian and vegan options in the take-out option.”

Orshan encourages students with comments to contact their respective senators, so SG can then in turn effectively communicate with Dining Services.

“We always want to communicate with students as many ways as we can,” he said.

Jordan Coyne

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...