Campus Life, News

Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall revamp receives mixed reviews

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.  Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Sam Walsh grabs lunch from one of the multiple dining stations.
Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

This summer, the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall received a major facelift including a complete remodel of the interior design.

The revamped dining hall offers students a more diverse seating arrangement, including an outdoor seating patio, along with food prepared in front of students.

“I think it looks really nice, and I like how it has a lot of open space,” sophomore Eric-Dillan Smith said.

However, Smith also mentioned that he wished there was more designated room for lines.

Mahoney-Pearson now accommodates those opting to use the to-go option in a separate area. In a corner when students first enter, they are able to select an entree, a side, a dessert and a beverage, which significantly shortens their visit.

“It actually saved me today because I was late for class, and I came in here hoping the lines weren’t ridiculous,” Smith said. “But they were like no you have to get take-out here, here’s five things, and then I got my food and made it to class.”

Although the new divided system is more time-efficient, some students, like freshman Catalina Perez, feel that it is not an adequate meal.

“I’m a freshman, so I don’t really know how it worked before, but I did expect that I could go to any station,” she said. “Now that I have less options, and the price is still the same, it’s a little frustrating.”

Many vegetarian or vegan students, like sophomore Poonam Patel, are frustrated with the even more limited options they have for both eat-in and take-out dining. Patel in particular would like to see the reinstatement of Terra Ve, the vegetarian specific station that has not been available since the dining hall’s opening.

“Whenever they’re making something with meat, they should make it without meat too,” she said, specifically citing a pasta dish with ham mixed in served  on Tuesday.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

DINNERPLATE_DININGHALL-01

Click to see larger.

[fresh_divider style=”solid”]

Student Government (SG) Press Secretary Adam Orshan said they are aware of some concerns with the new dining hall as students have written on their Facebook and their online suggestion box.

“Everybody loves how it looks, and the visual appeal has been overwhelmingly positive,” he said. “The only real complaints I’ve heard are about the vegetarian and vegan options in the take-out option.”

Orshan encourages students with comments to contact their respective senators, so SG can then in turn effectively communicate with Dining Services.

“We always want to communicate with students as many ways as we can,” he said.

Jordan Coyne

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...