Canes fans determine team’s success

Decibels from the roar of the crowd multiply as smoke rises from the tunnel. Sebastian storms out with raised arms and fingers pointing up toward the heavens, and the players and coaching staff follow, emerging from the smoke. This, along with the cheerleaders, marching band and Jumbotron, can mean only one thing. College football season is here.

Our Hurricanes are opening the season Friday night at home against Florida Atlantic University. Coming off a 7-5 season, the team had an opportunity to play in the ACC championship, until a self-imposed bowl ban changed the postseason outlook for the football team. But fans have a reason to be excited this year, as the Hurricanes are destined for an exceptional season.

This begins with the players. At the helm is senior quarterback Stephen Morris. Some analysts are praising his football talent and deeming him a refined NFL quarterback in the making. In the backfield is game-changer Duke Johnson, who has added weight — and hence power — to his frame in the offseason. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, head coach Al Golden gives reason for hope. With his passion for the game, he is surely as ready as the fans are to bring about success for the football program.

I mentioned earlier that fans have a reason to be excited. Better yet, fans are the reason to be excited. The fans are what drive the game. UM students and Canes fans in the community show their passion during the good – through supportive cheers for their home team – and the bad – expect raucous jeers toward the visiting team.

The die-hard fans are constantly watching ESPN and eagerly await those Saturday games during the fall season. They arrive hours before kickoff time and tailgate outside of the stadium with their vehicles covered in Canes decor. And it all comes to fruition this Friday against FAU. I’m no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, coaches and, just as crucially, the fans yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on.

I am no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, the coaches and, just as crucially, the fans is something to admire. All together, they yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on, fans. Football season is finally here.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...