Canes fans determine team’s success

Decibels from the roar of the crowd multiply as smoke rises from the tunnel. Sebastian storms out with raised arms and fingers pointing up toward the heavens, and the players and coaching staff follow, emerging from the smoke. This, along with the cheerleaders, marching band and Jumbotron, can mean only one thing. College football season is here.

Our Hurricanes are opening the season Friday night at home against Florida Atlantic University. Coming off a 7-5 season, the team had an opportunity to play in the ACC championship, until a self-imposed bowl ban changed the postseason outlook for the football team. But fans have a reason to be excited this year, as the Hurricanes are destined for an exceptional season.

This begins with the players. At the helm is senior quarterback Stephen Morris. Some analysts are praising his football talent and deeming him a refined NFL quarterback in the making. In the backfield is game-changer Duke Johnson, who has added weight — and hence power — to his frame in the offseason. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, head coach Al Golden gives reason for hope. With his passion for the game, he is surely as ready as the fans are to bring about success for the football program.

I mentioned earlier that fans have a reason to be excited. Better yet, fans are the reason to be excited. The fans are what drive the game. UM students and Canes fans in the community show their passion during the good – through supportive cheers for their home team – and the bad – expect raucous jeers toward the visiting team.

The die-hard fans are constantly watching ESPN and eagerly await those Saturday games during the fall season. They arrive hours before kickoff time and tailgate outside of the stadium with their vehicles covered in Canes decor. And it all comes to fruition this Friday against FAU. I’m no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, coaches and, just as crucially, the fans yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on.

I am no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, the coaches and, just as crucially, the fans is something to admire. All together, they yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on, fans. Football season is finally here.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...