Canes fans determine team’s success

Decibels from the roar of the crowd multiply as smoke rises from the tunnel. Sebastian storms out with raised arms and fingers pointing up toward the heavens, and the players and coaching staff follow, emerging from the smoke. This, along with the cheerleaders, marching band and Jumbotron, can mean only one thing. College football season is here.

Our Hurricanes are opening the season Friday night at home against Florida Atlantic University. Coming off a 7-5 season, the team had an opportunity to play in the ACC championship, until a self-imposed bowl ban changed the postseason outlook for the football team. But fans have a reason to be excited this year, as the Hurricanes are destined for an exceptional season.

This begins with the players. At the helm is senior quarterback Stephen Morris. Some analysts are praising his football talent and deeming him a refined NFL quarterback in the making. In the backfield is game-changer Duke Johnson, who has added weight — and hence power — to his frame in the offseason. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, head coach Al Golden gives reason for hope. With his passion for the game, he is surely as ready as the fans are to bring about success for the football program.

I mentioned earlier that fans have a reason to be excited. Better yet, fans are the reason to be excited. The fans are what drive the game. UM students and Canes fans in the community show their passion during the good – through supportive cheers for their home team – and the bad – expect raucous jeers toward the visiting team.

The die-hard fans are constantly watching ESPN and eagerly await those Saturday games during the fall season. They arrive hours before kickoff time and tailgate outside of the stadium with their vehicles covered in Canes decor. And it all comes to fruition this Friday against FAU. I’m no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, coaches and, just as crucially, the fans yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on.

I am no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, the coaches and, just as crucially, the fans is something to admire. All together, they yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on, fans. Football season is finally here.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...