Canes fans determine team’s success

Decibels from the roar of the crowd multiply as smoke rises from the tunnel. Sebastian storms out with raised arms and fingers pointing up toward the heavens, and the players and coaching staff follow, emerging from the smoke. This, along with the cheerleaders, marching band and Jumbotron, can mean only one thing. College football season is here.

Our Hurricanes are opening the season Friday night at home against Florida Atlantic University. Coming off a 7-5 season, the team had an opportunity to play in the ACC championship, until a self-imposed bowl ban changed the postseason outlook for the football team. But fans have a reason to be excited this year, as the Hurricanes are destined for an exceptional season.

This begins with the players. At the helm is senior quarterback Stephen Morris. Some analysts are praising his football talent and deeming him a refined NFL quarterback in the making. In the backfield is game-changer Duke Johnson, who has added weight — and hence power — to his frame in the offseason. Meanwhile, on the sidelines, head coach Al Golden gives reason for hope. With his passion for the game, he is surely as ready as the fans are to bring about success for the football program.

I mentioned earlier that fans have a reason to be excited. Better yet, fans are the reason to be excited. The fans are what drive the game. UM students and Canes fans in the community show their passion during the good – through supportive cheers for their home team – and the bad – expect raucous jeers toward the visiting team.

The die-hard fans are constantly watching ESPN and eagerly await those Saturday games during the fall season. They arrive hours before kickoff time and tailgate outside of the stadium with their vehicles covered in Canes decor. And it all comes to fruition this Friday against FAU. I’m no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, coaches and, just as crucially, the fans yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on.

I am no clairvoyant, but I feel the Hurricanes have something special awaiting them this year. The passion of the players, the coaches and, just as crucially, the fans is something to admire. All together, they yield a worthwhile season. So buckle up and cheer on, fans. Football season is finally here.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...