Newest campus spectacle turns out to be a labyrinth

The new Student Activities Center (SAC) is finally complete, and I’ve had the opportunity to thoroughly scour the remarkably beautiful sight and to write up a review for any estranged students and/or fans of $46.5 million obelisks who cannot experience it in person.

Externally, this shiny symbol of President Shalala’s might is stunning. The minimalist approach in its architectural design is very zen, almost as if it were designed by that Apple guy, Ashton Kutcher.

Upon very close inspection of the giant columns that (supposedly) keep the SAC from crushing hundreds of students under its $46.5 million weight, I noticed that the materials used are definitely prime. And by that, I mean they tasted great.

However, I ran into a structural issue when I tried to go downstairs via the outdoor stairwell on the south side: I couldn’t. There are two stairways overlapping each other with no signage nor indication of purpose or direction on either. Naturally, I just went down the one closest to me.

Just when I thought I had reached the first floor, I realized I had walked right up to the third floor by way of the second stairway. I tried for hours to escape this confusing vertical maze, but there was no hope. I was trapped in a $46.5 million M. C. Esher painting.

Finally, a kind passerby explained to me that one of the stairways leads to the Rathskeller’s kitchen as she led me out of the labyrinth. The aliens who built this thing really messed up there.

Lastly, I have no reason to believe that the Student Activities Center exists. Despite its realistic presence and solid foundation, I have come across no evidence that suggests there is actually an enormous, white edifice standing just a few steps up from the lake – as if to provide easy passage for the Osceolan mer-people who would like some coffee from Starbucks.

As I sat in the boldly modern (and/or non-existent) 24-hour study lounge, an odd, ephemeral feeling swept over me, and in that moment, I knew I was inside of nothing but a $46.5 million mirage.

Adrian Alonso is a sophomore majoring in creative writing. 

Adrian Alonso

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...