Starting the semester off right

A strange phenomenon occurs when you’re a freshman in your first weeks here at UM: Various strangers wearing bright orange shirts catch you wandering around lost on campus – or in your dorm’s communal restroom – and survey you.

These strangers (you will later learn to refer to them as “other freshmen”) will each demand information from you, and if you’re not prepared for this never-ending onslaught of the same exact questions repeated forever until the end of time, you’ll want to throw yourself into Lake Osceola.

Thankfully, I have written an unsolicited guide to responding to the insatiable curiosity of your classmates.

“Where are you from?” Tell them the truth. They will likely follow up with, “Oh! Do you know my cousin [Name]?” Answer by saying “I love [Name]!” and continue lying. Always lie. Never don’t lie.

“Stanford or Hecht?” There is an annoying, imaginary rivalry between the two freshman residential colleges, so if you answer this truthfully and the surveyor grunts or expresses any other form of mindless negativity, say “Oh wait. Actually, yeah, it’s the other one. Whoops.”

“Do you like to party?” Say, “I don’t know, you tell me,” and start break dancing like it’s 1999.

“Do you smoke weed?” Even if you do, Just Say No. You never know who is working for UM’s secret police.

“Are you gonna rush?” Tell whoever this genius is that you don’t know what that means. After the future frat star explains, say, “No.”

“What’s your major?” This is it. This is the one. This question is an unstoppable force of nature. Answering this gets very tiring, very fast – so just have fun with it. Make up fake majors each time you’re asked, such as ‘Planet Engineering,’ or ‘Anime Studies.’

“Who’s your roommate?” Stare intensely and respond, “My roommate? Why, perhaps it could be you … For a price.” Lick your fangs, transform into the bat you truly are, and soar into the night sky, laughing at the chaos we call life.

Adrian Alonso is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Adrian Alonso

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...