News briefs 8/26

SAC Opening

The Student Activities Center (SAC) will officially open for students at noon on Monday. President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, Patricia Whitely, vice-president for student affairs and various undergraduate and graduate student leaders will be at an opening ceremony that will be held to celebrate the opening. The ceremony will take place on the lakeside promenade.

Labor Strike

More than 400 university custodial workers say they are prepared to go on strike unless their terms are met by midnight Saturday, according to a report in The Miami Herald. The strike would begin the next day. Workers gathered last Saturday at St. Bede Episcopal Chapel near campus. They voted to approve the potential strike, and the gathering was followed by a march along U.S. 1.

Memorial Drive

Open roadway access to Memorial Drive ended Monday as part of a new policy to reduce traffic and increase pedestrian and bike safety. Memorial Drive is located between the Cox Science Center and the Richter Library. Students will no longer be able to drive onto Memorial Drive. Only faculty and staff with a business or academic need will be allowed access. The policy will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. The gate will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...