News briefs 8/26

SAC Opening

The Student Activities Center (SAC) will officially open for students at noon on Monday. President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, Patricia Whitely, vice-president for student affairs and various undergraduate and graduate student leaders will be at an opening ceremony that will be held to celebrate the opening. The ceremony will take place on the lakeside promenade.

Labor Strike

More than 400 university custodial workers say they are prepared to go on strike unless their terms are met by midnight Saturday, according to a report in The Miami Herald. The strike would begin the next day. Workers gathered last Saturday at St. Bede Episcopal Chapel near campus. They voted to approve the potential strike, and the gathering was followed by a march along U.S. 1.

Memorial Drive

Open roadway access to Memorial Drive ended Monday as part of a new policy to reduce traffic and increase pedestrian and bike safety. Memorial Drive is located between the Cox Science Center and the Richter Library. Students will no longer be able to drive onto Memorial Drive. Only faculty and staff with a business or academic need will be allowed access. The policy will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. The gate will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...