News briefs 8/26

SAC Opening

The Student Activities Center (SAC) will officially open for students at noon on Monday. President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, Patricia Whitely, vice-president for student affairs and various undergraduate and graduate student leaders will be at an opening ceremony that will be held to celebrate the opening. The ceremony will take place on the lakeside promenade.

Labor Strike

More than 400 university custodial workers say they are prepared to go on strike unless their terms are met by midnight Saturday, according to a report in The Miami Herald. The strike would begin the next day. Workers gathered last Saturday at St. Bede Episcopal Chapel near campus. They voted to approve the potential strike, and the gathering was followed by a march along U.S. 1.

Memorial Drive

Open roadway access to Memorial Drive ended Monday as part of a new policy to reduce traffic and increase pedestrian and bike safety. Memorial Drive is located between the Cox Science Center and the Richter Library. Students will no longer be able to drive onto Memorial Drive. Only faculty and staff with a business or academic need will be allowed access. The policy will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. The gate will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...