Meeting Shalala can offer advantages

D

ynamites come in small packages, and President Donna E. Shalala fits the bill. A pint-sized powerhouse of a president, who was also the Secretary of Health and Human Services under former U.S. President Bill Clinton, Shalala proves that passion, wisdom and vigor allow someone of a small size to make a large impact on the university community.

You may have been hoping to take her health care class filled with guest speakers, or maybe you just wanted a fan pic, but the President’s presence will be missed next semester.

If you don’t see our president during the spring semester, she is not M.I.A. from MIA. Alternatively, she is taking the semester to focus on the Momentum 2 campaign by traveling to raise funds. This is just one of the many testaments to her commitment to the university.

New students and incoming freshman, especially, should take the fall semester as an opportunity to reach out to our established President. While students may have heard about Shalala’s victories in verbal throwdowns with Miami’s critics, this inspirational woman doesn’t bite. At commencement, she’s even known to offer a hug rather than a handshake to students who have taken her class.

Unlike most celebrities, Shalala doesn’t walk around with an entourage and, in fact, is one of the most accessible figures on campus. Students frequently see her pop up at the Wellness Center, jumping around on the cardio machines like the best of us, and enjoying the sunny weather strolling around campus. I might even go as far as to say that I have seen her throwing up the U at sporting events more often than our beloved Sebastian.

Students who have the guts to approach President Shalala this fall can gain invaluable insight from a woman whose life experiences rival those of the prominent figures who visit her class.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...