Explore what Miami, campus can offer

Congratulations on not heading to Gainesville (or dare I say, Tallahassee). Bienvenidos a Miami, Class of 2017! There are a few things to know about your new home.

The city of Miami and its suburbs are extremely diverse, and our campus reflects that. At UM, you will find people from almost every culture, ethnicity, nationality and religion. Being surrounded by so many types of people is an asset, but it’s up to you to embrace it.

You can spend the next four years with people that look, think and sound like you — and that’s your choice — or you can use this time to become a global citizen who is ready for the real world. A global citizen has knowledge of what is going on outside of their country (or perhaps university). It helps as you begin your college career to be able to talk about world events and understand the cultural differences you will encounter on campus.

UM is not like other schools in that it is not situated in a college town. There are tons of things to do beyond campus. While a college town is centered on a specific university, Miami does not revolve around the University of Miami. They instead co-exist, each offering different yet inviting resources and activities for students to enjoy.

Much like our campus, the city offers something for everyone. It has neighborhoods influenced by other cultures, from Little Havana to Little Haiti. Miami also has the Wynwood Arts District and the Arsht Center, where you can watch a performance. If you are looking to spend the day off campus, there is the Seaquarium near RSMAS, Zoo Miami further south, shopping at Dadeland Mall and Sunset Place and beautiful beaches, such as those on Key Biscayne.

Diversity is a great thing, but students can sometimes experience culture shock. This is as a sense of confusion or uncertainty, sometimes with feelings of anxiety, which may affect those that are exposed to a foreign culture without proper preparation. If you are struggling with culture shock, your resident assistants are available to help, as well as the Counseling Center, which provides free counseling to students.

During the first few weeks of school, there will be lots of on-campus programing geared toward helping you make friends and getting you accustomed to campus. These are a great way to see what this campus has to offer and help you figure out where you fit in. But don’t let yourself be confined.

Your time at UM is what you make of it. Get involved, and enjoy all that Miami has to offer. Explore the campus and the city.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...